Cloudy water!!!!!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machoburrito

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!
I have a 80 gallon tank with a 100 gallon canister filter and i also have a undergravel filter with a powerhead on one side and a bubbler on the other side. I dont know what to do about the water? can anyone enlighten me please. Thanks guys!

Welcome to AA!

Take some water from your tank and place it in a white styrofoam (or similar) cup to determine if the water is white/milky or green. This will let us know what's going on as different colors have different reasons for clouding your water.

Thanks for the welcome guys! and the water type is a white/milky. Hope this helps!

Milky colored cloudy water is typically a sign of a bacteria bloom.

How long has your tank been established? If it's been up for a while, have you recently done something that could've affected your cycle? (i.e. a water change and forgot to use a dechlorinator), or have you added new fish or anything recently?

Can you post your water parameters? pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, and NitrAte?

ok sounds good ill post the levels this weekend! once again thank you for all the help. hope to hear back this weekend. also the tank has been up since october 24. also ive only done one water change so far and i put the dechlorinator before i put the water into the tank.

If you don't have a water test kit, you should get one. Avoid the strips and go for a liquid reagent kit. API Freshwater Master is the gold standard around here.

ok will do so how frequent should i do water changes? will this help with getting the water clear again?

I do PWCs once a week. I used to do 50%, but I've been cutting back to 20%-30% to cut my water bill down. The general rule with aquariums is: When in doubt, do a water change. As long as you're using dechlorinator, there's really nothing you can hurt; it can only help.

soooo whats the quickest way to do a water change when using a gravel vac. just run it right to a drain also when putting the dechlorinator should i put it before i put the water in the tank or after i fill the tank but up?

If the vacuum will reach, you can run it to the drain. Otherwise you'll have to fill buckets and carry the buckets to the drain.

Dechlorinator in the tank before refilling the tank.

ok cool thanks BigJim! what do you think is the best dechlorinator on the market? once again thanks everyone for the help!

I usually Put the dechlorinator in the water that I am about to put in the tank before I put it in. I sort of mix it in the bucket so that it gets to work. Just my experience, though. You can try it your self.

Back
Top Bottom