cloudy water issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
ok, so I have been dealing with a cloudy water issue... The tank has been setup for about 5 months now, and this was never a problem...I have been doing partial water changes every other day to try and rid the cloudiness but it keeps coming back.... am using an emperor 400 filter with eheim substrate pro in the media baskets, and stock filter cartridges also....anyone have any suggestions???? all my tests are good, PH is 7.0, no ammonia or nitrites, and nitrates only around 20PP.

What colour cloud?

I had that issue a little while ago, not totally cloudy, more a little misty! You couldn't make out the tank when viewed end on. Cut the feeding right down and it cleared up within a few days.

What size tank and what stock list are we dealing with?

Overfeeding is a very common cause of cloudy water. Only feed as much as your fish will eat in a few minutes.

What size tank and what stock list are we dealing with?

Overfeeding is a very common cause of cloudy water. Only feed as much as your fish will eat in a few minutes.

it is a 75 gallon with:
1-basic pleco
1-gold nugget
1-bristlenose
1-gold gourami
1-blue gourami
1-dwarf gourami
2-flag fish
1-bamboo shrimp
2-mollies
1-baby electric blue jack dempsey(got him for free, and will be moved to the new tank I am setting up in a week or so

You can't filter out bacteria. The only way to clean the water is to control organic matter in the tank, i.e. fish food excess, rotting old leaves, etc.

I had the same problem. I always thought it was the gravel, that I didn't clean it off all the way. But it was the type of food that I was giving my fish. "Back in the day" I used flake food. Flake food is a pretty strong cause of cloudy water, because my water was cloudy with the fish flakes, and ever since I moved to bloodworms and pellits (sp?) it's been clear for the most part.

green cloudy, too.

In the last two weeks my tank (16gal) has gotten light green cloudy water too. At the moment I only have two rosy barbs and I do not overfeed so that's not the issue. (Most of the time I only feed once every other day. Every now and then they get a very small amount in between days, when they practically sit up and beg, but not that often. All food is completely gone within 2 minutes. I sit and watch to make sure I'm not overfeeding.)

I've been putting in Maracyn powder for the last 5 days for a possible bacteria infection that killed my other 8 fish.

I have done small water changes every 3 days to see if I can get rid of the green water to no avail. The water tests out okay. Still fighting a small increase in nitrates but am slowing getting that in check. All other levels are good; other than hardwater.

Right now I have a big towel over the tank keeping out all light. The local fish store advised that for 1-2 weeks and will see if that helps but I hate not being able to see my guys!

Could the Maracyn cause green water?

here is a few pics of my cloudy issues...any help me out....tests read no ammonia, no nitrites, and 20ppm nitrates.

img_1162322_0_a3a18fbef8639450c7e4527a4e4c6be5.jpg
img_1162322_1_eb9bd2f804c04a792a7270a967003d95.jpg

I had the same problems. I bought a UV sterilizer and a water mover. I think the UV cleared up my problems. My water is crystal clear and it only takes an hour after I've cleaned the gravel to clear up again. I swear by the UV. No Problems now. Yeah!

also, I am thinking of switching to a jebo canister filter,(as apposed to my emperor 400 will this help. I have never used a canister filter, any advice for me before I get it and set it up? any suggestions on media?

If you're planning on getting a canister - make sure you have the facilities and the space to run the canister with your old filter for awhile. This will help clear up the cloudy water and will also aid in getting the canister cycled.

After about a month - you should then be able to lose the HOB and just run on the canister.

I use fluvals so I cant comment on the jebo. I like canisters alot better than hobs, mostly because I can buy a bag of polyfill at walmart or wherever for $4 and change my floss every week for a year.

For cloudy like that I use bioclear. I got it in a raffle, and love it. it globs up the cloud so it can be filtered out.

Back
Top Bottom