Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackdaddy81

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just changed the gravel in my 29 gallon tank. I rinsed and cleaned a 50lb bag of gravel that I got from Home depot for hours and the water was pretty was running clear. I put it in my tank and filled it up, and now the water is all cloudy. I emptied some of the water out and out some more in and this helped a little. I then put my fish in and now they are just kind of sitting at the bottom and not doing anything. I am going out right now to get my water tested. Did I do something wrong and is there anyway to fix it?

Thanks!

Is this an established tank or a new tank?

It's probably just dust from the gravel-- even rinsing doesn't get rid of all of it. Your filter should clear up the dust but it would probably have been better to let the fish stay in clean water until it settled.

My concern would be that you're going to overload your tank since you lost all the bacteria that was in the substrate (if it was an established tank). While you're getting your water tested, pick up a test kit (the API Master Freshwater kit is a good one) so you can do it yourself.

Ya it was established. I had blue gravel and I wanted something that looked more natural because i started growing plants. The worker at Petsmart told me that my water was fine and my fish are looking a little better. Maybe it was just shock? As far as the test kit, I have a PH test kit and an Ammonia test kit. Those were all fine when I tested them myself. I am trying to find a kit to test the KH, but none of the petsores around sell one, so I am probably going to have to get one online. As for the bacteria, I put some bacteria supplement in the water, and I read somewhere that most bacteria is in your filter media and not your gravel. I Hope all goes well.

Thanks!

You also need a nitrite test kit and a nitrate test kit, especially to have a planted tank. That being said...

There is bacteria in both the filter media and the substrate-- they should recolonize in the new substrate fairly quickly, but keep an eye on your fish and water parameters for the next week or so as your biofilter catches up. You may want to do an extra PWC or two to be safe. Once your ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 and your nitrates are climbing past 10ppm (and being removed via weekly PWCs, of course), then you don't need to worry as much about your water quality.

I woke up this morning, and my black moor looks like it has a blood blister in his eye. It is not bloccking his vision and it is somewhat smalle. What is this and did I cause it?

Back
Top Bottom