Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I filled my 36G 2 days ago and been running a emporer 280 filter on it and my water is still really cloudy... Any ideas?

what kind of substrate did you use? Did you rinse it really well first?

Some good water polishing filter floss jammed in there should help.

No I didnt rinse it... I thought you only had to do that with fine sand. Im not sure what kind of substrate it is the guy that I got the tank from gave it to me and said its really good for plants. This is it...

img_1044260_0_1b61541f7e465314da98e32e390e349a.jpg

Ah yes, that appears to be laterite. Very good for plants... but very messy. It will take some time to clear up. A rinse would have helped...

The driftwood could also contribute to the cloudy water if it was'nt soaked for a few days prior to filling the tank.
Give it time, water will clear out.

Yeah charcoal may help clear it up faster... but you would want to pull it out once you get plants in there -- carbon can suck of some of the valuable ferts your plants need.

Aqueon water clarifier (or similar products) also work if you want it to clear as fast as possible. It will bind the particles together quicker so they sink/get filtered out much fast. Ordinarily I wouldnt suggest it, but since you don't have any fish it won't hurt anything.

Back
Top Bottom