Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking after my 7 year old sons goldfish, I recently cleaned the tank and changed the water but now the water is cloudy, I did another partial change but the water is still cloudy, can someone tell me why and how to fix it. Thanks.

when you say you cleaned it, how did you clean it? my first thought is a bacteria bloom. does it look like a white cloud kind of moving around in the water?

After removing the fish I removed and rinsed the gravel with water, cleaned the inside of the tank with a tank scrubber and water, replaced the filter cartridge, added treated water and fish a few hours later. I only used tap water with no soap or anything. There is no cloud as you describe, the water just looks cloudy like it is dirty.

Ok, it probably is a bacteria bloom then. When you rinsed everything off with tap water, chances are you killed off the bacteria that converts ammonia in to nitrites then in to nitrates (aka cycle)... do you have a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

No I do not have a test kit (but it looks like I will be getting one?) I have only been using aquasafe for goldfish, easy balance, and algae control. So what do I need to do to solve this?

read through the link in my signature on understanding the nitrogen cycle. that should explain whats going on. basically when you rinsed everything in tap water, you killed off the bacteria that makes the tank cycled. you'll have to go through a cycle, and a liquid ammonia and nitrite test kit will help you big time. the best kit to get, imo, is the API Master FW Test kit, its anywhere from $20-30, cheaper online usually, and will let you test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph.. BTW, dont use anything like algae control, it can foul up your water. Just dont run your lights too much and dont overfeed and you shouldnt have any algae issues

Ok I will get a kit. I have seen a product called crystal clear that states it clears cloudy water would this be something to try or is it hocus-pocus? also are the fish in imenent danger? although I assume they dont feel great right now because of the water. Also, thank you very much for your help.

Does the Aquasafe you are using say "Bioextract" on the front?

If so, that can also be an issue. Really, anything with "live bacteria" can have a bad effect. I used that product on already cycled tanks when doing water changes and I lost everything in 1 tank and almost everything in another. For setting up a new tank I use it, but for long term tank care I do not recommend it, or any product like it. The Easy-balance is a joke as well. You never want to go 6 months with-out cleaning a tank. Honestly, all you need is a good dechlor like Prime or Jungle Start Right for water changes.

Now, I do agree with rookie. It does sound like you over-cleaned the tank and killed off the bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom