cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have a salt water aquarium, only been set up a couple of months. i'm still new to it so would be grateful if you or anyone could give me some advice on how to sort my aquarium out.

i had a outbreak of green algae all over my ocean rocks and bottom of tank so i treated it with nitrateminus over 2 weeks.
my tank is now clear of all algae but my water has gone cloudy :sad:
i was advised by my local fish gardens to do a 10% water change which i did today but it doesnt seem to have made it any clearer
i dont understand why my filter isnt clearing it either :sad:

anybody who can give me any advice or ideas on what to do to clear my water i would be very grateful :)

kaz08

I would not have treated with chemicals. Esp while your tank is cycling. You`ll see some algea during the cycle. I`m interested if you have an ammonia spike going on. Give us your water test results.

I would not have treated with chemicals. Esp while your tank is cycling. You`ll see some algea during the cycle. I`m interested if you have an ammonia spike going on. Give us your water test results.

hi thanks for replying i've done an ammonia test and the results are 0.8mg
dont know what that means :(

do you know what i have to do?

kaz

It just means your tank is cycling. Read our article on SW cycling in the SW articles section.

I would agree with mike, It sounds like you stalled or reset your cycle when you treated the tank.

basically you're going to go through an algae bloom during your cycle. Cycle meaning up ammonia, up nitrite, up nitrate, the first two will drop down to zero, then a big water change to get the nitrate down, and then you are cycled and can think about adding live stock.
adding the chemicals messed that cycle up and you have to restart.

welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom