Clove oil to help oto cat?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys, so I did something very bad today :/

I was switching my sand out, and taking the fish out of the tank, well, I put the oto cat in the net, and he got its front teeth and nose stuck on it, I had to cut the net, but the piece is still wrapped on his nose and teeth, I will post a pic if him tomorrow, someone told me that Clive oil is a good thing to make it fall asleep so I can pull the net out, how do I use the clove oil? And how much? And in how much time should he fall asleep/ wake up
Thank you:)

Clive oil is VERYYY dangerous to use. Put too much in accidentally and you'll end up euthanizing it. As little as 3 drops in a betta cup can kill a fish

If it were me I'd stay on the safe side and fix the net while he's awake and add some melafix to the tank after

Ok thanks, I tried to take it out but he kept wiggling and it's very hard to get out, like its very tangled, will he be ok if I pull a bit?
Someone told me that 8 drops per gallon is ok
And will stress medicine work to calm him down?

Ok thanks, I tried to take it out but he kept wiggling and it's very hard to get out, like its very tangled, will he be ok if I pull a bit?
Someone told me that 8 drops per gallon is ok
And will stress medicine work to calm him down?

I had the same thing happen with my almost foot long pleco. I couldn't get it off and didn't want to stress him out, so I let it be overnight. The next morning he had got it off by himself. Some stressguard will help, but I only use Clive oil for euthanasia. It is exceptionally good for that purpose. Otos are too sensitive to even think about trying to anesthetize them.

Oh ok, hopefully he will be able to get it out himself by tomorrow, if not, it's latex gloves, caution, time, and careful procedure

Good luck with it. The poster who said clove oil is very dangerous is, I think, overreacting, without having read what I said first. It is the most common fish anesthetic in existence, used by piscine vets routinely.

Being careful with dosage and following instructions is what is required, as I said last night. Of course, overdosing can kill, I did say that too. But there is a fairly wide margin between fatal dose and safe dose.

The amount of water you mix it in is very important. One cup of water is not nearly enough water, and the fish could have got pure oil on him in so small a volume. It must be mixed up thoroughly, shaken very hard for a few minutes to mix it with the water. Adding 8 drops to a gallon is much more diluted than 3 drops in a cup of water !

And Otos are not inherently sensitive. They are stunned with cyanide when caught, then starved, and lose their gut bacteria, which they need to digest their food. That's why they so often die within weeks of coming to your tank.

I also said, if the fish can eat and it is not damaging him, let him try to get it off himself. If he can't, or he can't eat, then you try anesthetic, because he can't go long without eating.

Back
Top Bottom