Clown fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giblin7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one clown fish right now in a 20 gal tank. Should I put another one in with him.

If it`s a different type then I would not as they will probably fight to the death in that small of a tank. If the same species then it needs to be much smaller or much bigger so as to become a mated pair. The smaller one will most likely take a beating till they get used to each other.

There could be problems then. In a tank that small same size fish of the same species clowns will fight. Probably best not to do it. IMO

So if I get a bigger one, do you think they will be fine?

How long has your first clown been in the tank? The larger clown will probably turn into a bully. Have you thought about another type of fish?

The clown fish as been in the tank for about a month. I have other fish in the tank.

You have to add one bigger or smaller. Even then the smaller one will be hammered till they figure out the pecking order. Unfortunely the smaller sometimes does not make it. I personally would just keep it like it is.

I think what everyone else has stated has been correct, clowns can be very aggressive towards each other during the domination period,but this doesn't always last long enough to harm either one if you get yourself a large female,One way which can help and which I have used(although not in such a small tank) is to seperate the male and female using a glass seperator for long enough to calm the female down as much as possible,if you get a female they can attack males for quite some time so patience is a must,once she seems calm(this could take up to 2 weeks)you can remove the glass,but this isn't fool proof

Back
Top Bottom