Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm new to the site, so bare with me!

I've had tanks all my life, most of them being 10 or 20 gallon tropical community tanks. When I started working at Petsmart (boo, hiss) I bought a 55 gallon tank and started to search for nice, semi aggressive fish to put in it.

Not too long after I set up the tank, a friend of mine messaged me and asked if I would take his two clown loaches... I was hesitant at first because I know how big they can get, so I asked why he was getting rid of them. Because they are boring, apparently, and dont look healthy. All they did was hide.

Come to find out, he only had them in a 20 gallon tank, with way too many tropical community fish in it. (Mollys and Platys). Seriously?!

I took them in a heart beat and added them to the tank after a bit of observation. They were underweight and hid all the time. They were so pale, they were almost white. And they were MAYBE two or three inches long.

Its been almost a year now, and they are six inches long. They are nice and plump, have fantastic oranges, reds, and black hues on them, and they are constantly out and about, swimming under the tiger barbs, weaving in and out of the plants, and eating.

I noticed something odd though.. Sometimes I hear a "clicking" noise. I did a bit of research and came across some conflicting answers. Some people say they only make the noise when aggrevated, or when hungry. Some say they only make that noise when they are content.... What are your guys' thoughts on it?

:welcome:

I'm far from an expert on clown loaches. I can tell you that they'll outgrow your 55. You'll need at least another 20 gallons to keep them happy. Sounds like you're doing great with them so far, though.

Many fish make noises. It's nothing to worry about. My synodontis isn't called a "squeaker" for no reason. :rolleyes:

I know they are going to need a larger tank. In my current apartment, I am not allowed to have anything bigger than my 55... technically Im not even supposed to have this big of a tank. We hope to move out next year and get an actual house, in which case I want a 120 gallon semi-aggressive tank, and convert my 55 to either a small cichlid tank, or just go back to tropical community.

I wouldn't have taken them at all, except he said if he couldn't find anyone else to take them, he was just going to flush them. :/

Back
Top Bottom