Clown tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lucasb625

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have a clown tang and if so what do you feed them?

They are a very hard fish to keep alive and require a huge (250 gal+) tank. Very few people have long term success with them. As far as eating, they are much like any other tang. They primarily eat algae and once establised will eat just about anything.

+1

They are considered "expert-only", so as beautiful as they are, I would steer clear of them. They are also known to get very aggressive as they mature.

K thx. I got one that was about 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch before you said that. Any advice on feeding them. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

• image-3871635801.jpg
    image-3871635801.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, I would take it back to the LFS and say that you did not realize it was so aggressive and an expert-only fish that will require such a large tank. My thoughts with stuff like this is that if you have to ask, you are not an expert and the fish really does not stand much of a chance. Better to admit that you are probably in over your head (which I'm sure we've all probably done in this hobby) and try to save the fish. Please don't take offense...I've been in this hobby for a long time and there are still certain things that I will not take on. Expert-only is out of my league.

I also saw you had another thread asking about Ich on a Hippo Tang. What size tank do you have? How's that fish doing and how did you treat it?

K thx. I got one that was about 2 1/2 inch to 3 inch before u said that. Any advice on feeding them. Here is a pic of it.

My dad's tank has a clown tang and yes I would recommend taking it back. It's currently in his 325, and was very hard to start feeding. Also he is very aggressive to any new fish. Even him and his naso are fighting for king of the tank.

IMO, I would take it back to the LFS and say that you did not realize it was so aggressive and an expert-only fish that will require such a large tank. My thoughts with stuff like this is that if you have to ask, you are not an expert and the fish really does not stand much of a chance. Better to admit that you are probably in over your head (which I'm sure we've all probably done in this hobby) and try to save the fish. Please don't take offense...I've been in this hobby for a long time and there are still certain things that I will not take on. Expert-only is out of my league.

I also saw you had another thread asking about Ich on a Hippo Tang. What size tank do you have? How's that fish doing and how did you treat it?

He died yesterday before i could do anything. He was a pretty fish. And i've got a 150g tank. The hippo tang is fine and we didn't treat him with anything. Just waited a couple of days and it went away. I think he just lost his slime layer and scratched himself but he is better now. Thanks for askin though

He died yesterday before i could do anything. He was a pretty fish. And i've got a 150g tank. The hippo tang is fine and we didn't treat him with anything. Just waited a couple of days and it went away. I think he just lost his slime layer and scratched himself but he is better now. Thanks for askin though

So the clown tang and the blue hippo lived..?

Ich does not just "go away". It does drop off as part of its life cycle, but goes into your sand/rock and multiplies. That "disappearing" is where people get fooled into believing their fish were miraculously cured. Unless treated, its still in there and will likely come back. Often worse. There are lots of great articles online. Read and learn about your enemy.

Ich does not just "go away". It does drop off as part of its life cycle, but goes into your sand/rock and multiplies. That "disappearing" is where people get fooled into believing their fish were miraculously cured. Unless treated, its still in there and will likely come back. Often worse. There are lots of great articles online. Read and learn about your enemy.

Very good and true statement. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom