CO2 for a low-medium light planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't hurt. :) Might turn out to be more trouble than its worth....but give it a try. You might see some real improvements in plant health.

co2 will help any tank low light - high light but hte more light the more gain you will get. just talking about diminishing returns. will the work of having to mix them up every other week be worth the boost you are getting? only one to answer that is you.

I'm running a low light, 12g, and I use a system that is more or less DIY (I bought the Red Sea CO2 bio system .. it's just looks nicer but works the same way.)

I'm not sure what the actual benefit is but my plants are showing healthy growth -- most noticeable in the Amazon Sword (I swear some leaves grow like half an inch over night! lol)

Hello all!

For future reference, would it be advisable to use a DIY CO2 bottle for a moderately-planted tank? Lighting is around 30 watts over a 20gal high tank (roughly 1.5wpg). Thanks!

-Daniel

It's good idea! CO2 is the most important component in nutrition of plants. Don't forget about fertilizers including ferrous iron ;)

does anyone else speak for or against it?
For it. Im a by far noob but based ont eh difference in my tank with and without (when it wasnt working right) and if it helps 1/3 what mine did it will be worth it if you dont mine making the stuff...
oh I see. Well making a mix doesn't take but a few minutes for every week or so.. I'll give it a try then.
Which I see here tyou dont mind. i lie it. I forget who here was talking about enjoying their water changes because thy feel like they are being "procative" and "becoming 1 with the fish" and find it calming... I totaly argee

I'm running a low light, 12g, and I use a system that is more or less DIY (I bought the Red Sea CO2 bio system .. it's just looks nicer but works the same way.)

I'm not sure what the actual benefit is but my plants are showing healthy growth -- most noticeable in the Amazon Sword (I swear some leaves grow like half an inch over night! lol)
I have very high light 3.25 wpg but let me tell you this guy is not kidding about growth... I was getting maybe 1-2" per week of growth...I fixed my c02 and now have about 1" at LEAST per night.

All in all... I vote go for it. :D

Success with the right combination..

I run 1 wpg and have 3 axolotls that create tons of Co2. With 1 wpg I have 3 anubias, all of which have flowered, 2 tiger lotuses that are enormous and produce at least 2 leaves per day, and elodea that kind of just gets longer and longer, and the giant cloud of java moss which seems to get bigger and uglier each day.

Low lighting works well for me given my CO2 and fertilizer (poop) created by my axolotls.

Low light 1 wpg setups are highly underrated, but success can be yours.

Good luck! :king:

Back
Top Bottom