co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartanmax2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to put plants in my small one gallon betta tank but i would need plants that use little light and i dont no how co2 works... how could i put co2 in the tank?? pluse how much money would it cost for it.

spartanmax2 said:
I want to put plants in my small one gallon betta tank but i would need plants that use little light and i dont no how co2 works... how could i put co2 in the tank?? pluse how much money would it cost for it.

In a one gallon your options for different kinds of plants are limited...I would just add one or two species of plants. And since it would be hard to put co2 in it, I wouldn't even put it in. If you have only a few plants, then there should be enough co2 in there from fish breathing, but since it is a one gallon, you could probably only put one medium or a few very very small fish in there, so co2 might be limited.
As for how co2 works, im not an expert. But I can tell you this:
Animals (such as humans and fish) breathe in the air around us. But what our bodies want is oxygen. So we breathe out co2.
Plants breathe in co2 and breathe out oxygen. That is why having a lot of plants is very good on the environment. So, if you don't have enough co2 for the plants to breathe, they will die.
I do know that fish stores sell root tabs, that either slowly release co2 or fertilizer. You could use these, as they are relatively cheap compared to other methods. You could put on tab in every month.

All I would reccomend for that tank is a java fern or java moss, and nothing else. Both require little to no CO2 and need little lighting. No fish should be in there, IMO it's too small for any fish.

1 gallon is a shrimp bowl not a fish bowl. But no I would not use CO2 in there unless you used pressurized which would probably be out of your budget range. Plus with low light there isn't even a need anyways. Try java fern as stated above and various mosses like java, christmas, riccia. Other plants you might want to try are anubias and cryptocorynes.

Back
Top Bottom