Co2 help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Iv just brought a second hand pressurised jbl proflora co2 unit. I'm only running it at 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds. The thing is its not all dissolving by the time it gets to the top of the diffuser and it's collecting in the top section. Is this normal or should I be running it slower?

Attachments

• image-268404659.jpg
    image-268404659.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 75
I found a description of the diffuser online that states that gas will accumulate in the top and then vent out through the holes. That unit is supposed to work like that. The description actually says that it is "false gas" (not CO2) escaping. Not sure if that is BS or not. Sounds to me like they know it is inefficient and are making excuses, I don't know. Most of the reviews I scanned through say the diffuser is junk and you should replace it with something more efficient.

Do you have a drop checker?

Hi. No drop checker yet but I have it on order so hopefully get it in a day or 2. And thanks for the info I will look in to getting a new diffuser as what's the point in letting the co2 escape to the surface it's just a waste of money

Also could you recommend a decent diffuser to replace it. Many thanks

I guess it would depend on a few things... If you have a canister filter an inline reactor would likely be best if you don't want micro-bubbles floating around your tank. A DIY setup would be the most cost effective. If you have a largish tank and don't mind putting in a power head you can DIY a good rig for fairly cheap. You can also feed the CO2 into your filter's intake and make it do the work for you but that will likely add some noise (from breaking up the bubbles) and they say it can shorten you impeller's life span. Other than that some other folks will have to chime in or you could search the forums as I'm sure others have asked the same question before. ;)

Hi thanks for the info, iv got an external filter so i think I'll look at the option of getting the co2 to inlet pipe as I think that sounds like a good way to infuse the co2 with the water. Many thanks

Make an inline reactor. Google "DIY inline CO2 reactor". All you need is a few PVC parts, a saw, some PVC glue, a drill and optionally some sort of media (bio-balls, plastic pot scrubbers, etc) to put inside to help slow down the bubbles. It is very easy to do and very cheap. 100% dissolution and no bubbles in the tank. And best of all, no extra equipment or hoses in the tank. Depending what you have on hand it could cost you about ten bucks.

Back
Top Bottom