co2 question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmypack100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wanting to add a co2 syestem to my 40 gallon planted. My bolbus plants aee lookjng kinda ill after i aded aa few trident java ferns.

I have been looking at the diy co2 reactor with the 2 liter and sugar and yeast. I was also wkndering i used to play paintball so i have a 20 oz co2 tank for a paintball gun would i be able to use thag somehow and if so whag should i do

I have a large shoplight think 48 inch with a florosun bulb and a regular walmart ant bulb what do you mean by warrent?

My point is, are you sure that it's an issue of carbon and not just a general lack of light? It sounds like you have only one T8 above your tank.

Ive had my boulbus for about 8 months and i never had problems before i actually have more light now than ever.

Do plants die of old age or here il post a picture

I just noticed whilee taking a picture that i seem to have some baby snails tgat were nit there before thwy look cone shaped and they seem to only be on my plants

ForumRunner_20130309_101033.jpg

Plants do not die of old age. It looks like you have an algae issue, but I cannot tell from those pictures what's going on.

Snails are fairly common with planted tanks. Most everyone with plants, has snails. As far as your question about the plants, are you using any ferts, or excel in the tank.? it does appear there is some algae going on in the tank also.

I jus use florish substrate i have florish excel and florish ckmplete solution should i be using those daaily

You can use the Excel daily as a corbon source. The complete or Comprehensive should only be used once a week with the few plants you have.

Ok that is helpful thanks much.

Now about adding co2 i have 2 tanks, a 40 and a 3 gallon its not gonna hurt to have a sysrem in is it ? Is there a way i can use my 20 oz paintball co2 tank or is there a difference

Try dosing your ferts for a few weeks and see how the plants react. I personally don't think the co2 will be a huge benefit to a tank with that low of light. Will it help, yes, to what extent I am unsure.
To answer your question a 2 liter bottle would be far more work than a pressurized co2 set up. The pressurized set up will allow you to maintain a more stable environment, you want to keep the levels of co2 as constant as possible (just like all things in this hobby). A DIY style system will have a very hard time getting your co2 levels to a reasonable level that will actually benefit the plants. The good thing about a DIY system is that the upfront cost is very cheap.

Ok that is helpful thanks much.

Now about adding co2 i have 2 tanks, a 40 and a 3 gallon its not gonna hurt to have a sysrem in is it ? Is there a way i can use my 20 oz paintball co2 tank or is there a difference
Check out Aquatek of California, they have regulators for paintball cans at a pretty reasonable price. As far as co2 on a 3 gallon tank I don't think thats a good idea. It would be VERY easy to gas the fish. I use a 2 bottle DIY co2 generator on my 40 long tank, and the plants are doing great. Diffusing it through the venturi fitting on a cheap powerhead from Petsmart.LOL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom