CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

girlychris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! I am new to the forum and planted tanks in general...I have a quick question for whoever is inclined to help me. I recently got a 55 gal tank and put 108 watts over it. i just got my first shipment of plants and know that CO2 is going to be in my future. I have been trying to learn more about it and I have gathered that I will need the following...

canister
regulator
needle valve
selonoid valve?
bubble counter
check valve
reactor
tubing

does this sound right? Seems like alot of stuff....and expensive!!!

Welcome to AA!

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it. Most of the components will be sold together as a unit, however (unless you just want to get individual pieces).

Check ebay for a milwaukee MA957. That'll come with the regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter as a unit.

do you have any suggestions for a reactor...and whats the difference between a reactor and a diffuser? can i use one of those glass diffusers on a 55 gal?

The only difference is a reactor is powered, typically by some small powerhead or something to help get the CO2 to dissolve in the water.

I really like and use the CO2 reactor 500 on my large tanks. They are a bit unsightly, however, but if you have good tall plants in the background it's easily hideable.

You can try to use a glass diffuser. On a 55g tank, it may or may not work, depending on how much offgassing you have from your filters. It is possible that it'll work, however, you'll just have to give it a go to see. Let it run for a day or two and then check your CO2 level and that'll tell you. Of course, with a pressurized system, you can always just up your bubble rate until you get the level you want through it, it'll just cause you to have to refill your CO2 tank more often. If you do use the glass one, put it as deep in the tank as you can to maximize the amount of time the CO2 bubbles contact the water to get the most absorption you can. Any CO2 bubbles that hit the surface will offgas and not be beneficial to your tank.

i saw this setup and it is nice, just kinda expensive. I haven't done the math, but it is probably a good deal...how does the green thing work? is it the ph controller? do i need that?

Distance from the filter shouldn't matter.

That "green thing" is a pH controller. While nice to have, it's not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom