Cockatoo advise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icathal

Aquarium Advice Regular
So currently I have 2 red jewels, 1 electric blue johanni, 1 striped Dora catfish and 2 well mannered convicts! All these guys are getting on great thankfully, yesterday I spotted cockatoos in my LFS and they are fantastic and reasonably priced at €8! I want one of these so bad but can I add one to my current stock?

christine2012 said:
Idk but wanted to give you +1 for resisting an impulse buy :D

Thank you It was very difficult, the guy in the shop said it would be fine but I think he just wanted to make a sale so said I'd wait and ask my peeps on here!
So hope I can have one, they are really cool!

garfy said:
I thing cockatoo's would be a bad choice in your tank.They are not aggressive enough and would be bullied if not killed.

**** it, disappointed but thanks.

Be careful which fish you mix.You have fish from different continents in there and you may get some serious aggression issues as the fish start to mature.

garfy said:
Be careful which fish you mix.You have fish from different continents in there and you may get some serious aggression issues as the fish start to mature.

I know I'm taking a chance but everything seems ok now! I have another tank on standby should problems arise in the future!

Any suggestions on what I could add? I need one more fish to be happy with my stock, something colourful perhaps yellow!

icathal said:
Any suggestions on what I could add? I need one more fish to be happy with my stock, something colourful perhaps yellow!

I wouldnt add anything else.You mix is volatile to say the least.Another fish could tip the scales.
If I were you I would decide which continent you prefer.If African which lake or S/A or C/A.Start again so to speak.I don't see your mix working long term.

garfy said:
I wouldnt add anything else.You mix is volatile to say the least.Another fish could tip the scales.
If I were you I would decide which continent you prefer.If African which lake or S/A or C/A.Start again so to speak.I don't see your mix working long term.

Thanks garfy.
As I was warned when getting my first tank, I'm already shopping for my second. So I will sort out my badly mixed current tank then and stick to the correct regions! Even with all this confusion I'm loving my new hobby, I think with my new tank I'm gonna go big!
My sister is willing to take my convicts, she has space for them so that will help my current tank!
In your opinion, which region has the best and widest choice of fish?

Haha now that is the million dollar question.
You will get very varying opinions on the subject "Which continent"
Had you asked me 6 months ago I would have said African lake Malawi cichlids.Particularly haps such as Malawi eye biters,Blue dolphins,Electric blue haps,Venustas and Livingstoni.They get big and in my opinion are majestic fish.
Now then you have African Malawi Peacocks.
Beautiful extremely colourful fish with long flowing fins.Very showy as the name would suggest.
Then you have the boisterous mbuna also from lake Malawi.Very few get over 6" in length and they are plenty colourful but perhaps a little too territorial.They are always jockeying for position.

These days I am starting to sway towards the central and south American cichlids.Less fish in the tank but they look awesome and full of personality.
Hope this gives you something to think about.

garfy said:
Haha now that is the million dollar question.
You will get very varying opinions on the subject "Which continent"
Had you asked me 6 months ago I would have said African lake Malawi cichlids.Particularly haps such as Malawi eye biters,Blue dolphins,Electric blue haps,Venustas and Livingstoni.They get big and in my opinion are majestic fish.
Now then you have African Malawi Peacocks.
Beautiful extremely colourful fish with long flowing fins.Very showy as the name would suggest.
Then you have the boisterous mbuna also from lake Malawi.Very few get over 6" in length and they are plenty colourful but perhaps a little too territorial.They are always jockeying for position.

These days I am starting to sway towards the central and south American cichlids.Less fish in the tank but they look awesome and full of personality.
Hope this gives you something to think about.

Oh my! I have a lot of research to do, ATM Malawi are winning!
Great advise as always, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom