combo/mixed substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fujimo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to the forum. Did a quick search & couldn't find anything but this may have been asked before. I have only seen either sand or gravel substrate in the photos posted, and was wondering if anyone mixed sand & gravel. We currently have different size gravel in our new-to-us 29g tank, but think it would look cool with sand mixed into it. pros? cons? photos?

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 53
The sand would eventually sift through the gravel and you'd end up with sand on the bottom and the gravel on top.

You'd have to add enough sand to partially cover the gravel, once it settles you can add more until you reach the level you want.

I've seen some pictures of aquariums that mixed both gravel and sand together. Most of the time it wasn't completely mixed in, but instead added in different parts of the tank to accentuate the aquascape. It looks really neat.

That's exactly what drew me to AA first! Now I'm addicted and on every night researching.

I asked the same question, and over all I get that it eventually all mixes. When I first started I had a little "island" of gravel and sand around. Learned that over time, and with fish sifting and digging, it would all eventually mix. Though some people had it only mix at the border. I ended up just getting a terra-cotta planting pot bottom (ya know the dish looking peice) and filling that with gravel, to help maintain a border. Khulis are always moving sand on it, but it's easy to just push off during cleaning day =) welcome to AA by the way!

Back
Top Bottom