Common pleco is changing colours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently changed from bare bottom to sand substrate and noticed he got lighter in colour. He's kinda splotchy now but his behaviour seems normal. Is it just the sand that's changing his colour or is he sick? For the past 3 years I've had him, he's been the darkest thing in my tank.

I think the color change is a camouflage effect due to the color of the sand but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I have light and dark gravel in my tank, and my pleco varies in color depending on which area he is in.

I would say that its trying to blend in with the sand. I have a bolivian ram who is on sand and he's real light in color.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Alot of pleco species have that chameleon like characteristic and try to blend in to their surroundings. Both my sailfin gibbys and common pleco will morph due to their position in the tank, lighting levels and even moods. Stress will also cause a color morph. >=))))(°>

That's good to hear :) I was worried for him but now that I know he's fine then all is good. Maybe I'll pick up some black sand and change it around if he gets too pale.

Back
Top Bottom