Community tank came overstocked. Now what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

We recently bought a scaped 10 gallon from our LFS because it was so gorgeous and didn't realize how stocked it was until we got home! The stocking list is below -- I know it's not ideal at all and we are new to community tanks (we've only kept bettas, shrimp and endlers before)--but the tank is very heavily planted, well-filtered, perfect water conditions, and we are committed to giving the fish the best conditions possible under current restraints.

Can you tell me if I can add and subtract a couple of fish and continue to get away with it or if you think we HAVE to reduce? I know this tank is way overstocked and would hate to give any away...but am open to it.

I'm also looking for tips on how to feed the slower fish.

- 5 cardinal tetras (came with 15 but many died of water stress in the move)--I want to add just three more to make them feel more secure.

- 1 ghost & 4 amanos (I gave two amanos back)--willing to give more back but worried about tank cleanliness without them.

- 3 pygmy corys -- I want to add just one more to make them happier but I don't know if they're getting enough food although I keep dropping daphnia. They are too slow to get to the algae wafers or shrimp pellets I bought them. Is there anything else I can try to feed them?

- 1 small BN pleco--I KNOW he doesn't belong here but I suspect he's almost at his full size (1.5 inches), and he's such a cute fish. He has driftwood and is good at fighting off shrimp to get to blanched veggies and algae wafers.

- 1 oto. This is the one I'm really worried about. There's not enough algae and he shows no interest in blanched veggies. He's way too slow to get to the wafers. I'm growing him his own algae covered rocks separately but he doesn't seem too interested in that either. I really want to get him 1-2 friends to make him more comfortable but I know 1) I'm really pushing it 2) otos are delicate and I want to figure out how to feed him first before I add more.

I know I should maybe give him up but I don't wanna :(

- and 1 betta -- I'll move him to five gallon if we add any more fish.

- also 6 nerites and a malaysian trumpet snail

FYI tank has been established for about 6 months and I think they've all been in there for several months at least with no problems. All fish seem happy and seem to be eating/moving all the time. Any thoughts are welcome but would appreciate tips on how to deal with the current stock and fewer "get rid of them" comments--we are pretty responsible and know they could have better conditions but could also have much worse, and would love to make it work--appreciate your pro thoughts!

So your tank isn't so stocked after all.

Just get rid of the pleco.

Amano don't just eat the veggies, so does the ghost. Cory's are cat fish, so they will eat just about anything on the substrate. Use sinking pellets, this will take care of all your bottom feeders.

Your tank isn't going to be 'dirty' without the shrimps. Your filter with do the job. And the plants will do the rest.

Vacuum the places that don't have plants.

Reactions: di3
It's not as bad as you think- but the BN pleco isn't even close to his adult size. They can get 5-6 inches so he definitely needs a new home. As for the rest I think they'll be fine. You're right about the Otto, unfortunately they're not very hardy and even just the transfer and re-setting up the tank may cause his demise. It sounds like you're doing the best you can for him, but try not to get your hopes up for his survival :(
I would actually recommend getting a couple more cardinals because 5 is pretty small for a school.
Just make sure you don't forget your weekly water changes of 25-50% and I think you'll do great!

Oh also I forgot I would recommend re-homing most of the nerites. I know you said you didn't want that kind of advice, but I believe it's a choice between that, or all of them slowly starving. Nerites have quite the appetite for algae and a 10 gallon just isn't big enough to support that many.

One more tidbit of information- you said there is one Malaysian trumpet snail? MTS are prolific breeders and for every one you see, there are probably 20 more in the substrate. Don't panic though- they're good for the plants because they aerate the substrate, and their numbers will stay in check as long as you don't overfeed and keep your substrate clean.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Second other comments. The pleco will grow, but others are fine. His bioload will increase quite a bit too.

Too many Nerites (it's true, they'll starve)
No pleco ( its true they need at least 30g, they are poop machines).

Try feeding the Pygmy Cories frozen baby brine shrimp.

The Oto may pal around with the Cories. You can try adding 1-2 more Otos as singles usually die.

Once the Pleco and most of the snails are out, the Oto should have more food. Watch the Ghost Shrimp. They can get predatory with small fish.

I've had 2-4 Otos in a 10g before. It was heavily planted so they did fine. Mine did learn to eat prepared foods. They also enjoy Indian Almond Leaves ( shrimp keepers use them).

IMG_0293.jpg

Oh boy! I'm so glad you guys don't think it's dire!

My plan was to get 3 more tetras, 1 more cory cat, and should I get one or TWO otos? (Moving the betta out and more than happy to move out nerites.) Will that still be okay in terms of stocking?

I love Larry the Loach pleco (his name) :( and he's a SMALL BN pleco. My LFS, who are very nice and knowledgeable, said he won't grow more than his 1.5 inches. Do you think I can keep him if he stays his size? If he gets more aggressive, I'll take him out anyway but as you can tell, I'm already attached...

FYI, my 5G has 3 amanos and 2 endlers (I'm giving them back when I move my betta) and it's FULL of algae. Do you think it can handle about 3 nerites? The two nerites I tried in the 5g all died. (My water conditions are usually 0/0/0.) Any thoughts why they couldn't make it?

I would say wait to get more ottos until you figure out why yours isn't eating. I know your expectation is that buying more will make your little guy happy and he'll start eating, but what I think is more likely to happen is that if you get more, none of them will eat, and all will die. Ottos are very tricky little fish.
Your fish store may be knowledgeable, but they're wrong about the pleco. All bristlenose plecos will reach 5-6" when fully grown- UNLESS they are malnourished or kept in a tank that's too small like the 10g, then their growth will be stunted.

The nerites might do ok in your algae filled 5g depending on what kind of algae it is, but the thing that a lot of people don't understand about algae eaters is that they usually specialize in eating ONE kind of algae. Usually nerites eat smooth, flat, algae like diatoms, and ottos actually eat mainly biofilm (film of microorganisms that coats everything in an established tank- also why they love Indian almond leaves). So lots of times people buy them expecting to eat their hairy, fuzzy, or stringy textured algae, which just doesn't happen.

Thank you...and thanks to all for your input...I'll get rid of the pleco...I saw him trying to SUCK on a cory cat today.

Happy to report my otto is eating his zucchini now and suspect he'd eat more if the pleco wasn't trying to claim all the zucchini for himself...the oto looks like he's eating all the time so if it's biofilm he's after, I guess he's find it?

I have an india almond leaf in there that I'll move closer to the oto!

Thanks everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom