Compatibility question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SherryD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Need some advice about a group a fish I have. Currently in my 20g long have
3-Golden Wonder Killifish
5-Tiger Barbs
7-Albino Tiger Barbs

Tank is fully cycled for about 3 months, 2 HOB filters- Auquaclear 30 and Top Fin10. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10-20. PWC weekly, about 50%.

I know tank is overstocked but setting up 40g breeder now to put this group in, should be ready in about a month.

My problem is that my daughter, (God love her) went to pick herself up some fish for her tank today...saw some "baby Clown Loaches" and brought home 3 for me! They are really cute and funny and we had seen them before and talked about getting some. They are currently in quarantine. So what I need to know is will they work with the barbs and the killies? I know they can get quite large but we have plans for a 125-150g tank to be set up next year sometime after the addition is added to the house. (Y es one reason for the addition is for bigger tank! Gotta love my husband!) Any feedback would be welcome.
Thanks...9 tanks and counting!:thanks:

Yes, if you plan on getting a tank large enough for them, they should work out fine with your barbs and GW's. Loaches like to be kept in groups so I would get atleast 5. Though they do grow slow, but I still don't think your 20L is a great place for them to stay until next year sometime. :(

Hi there,

If it's temporary, I think they will be fine in the 20 gallon while you get your 40B ready. IMO 40Bs are some, if not the best tanks out there to work with :)

Sorry, but I do agree that the clown loaches will outgrow. Slowly though. It can take a couple of years before they get massive, and by then you may have another plan ;)

LOL thanks bruins I had to re-read that..totally missed the line about the 40B. I agree they'd be OK in there with your crew until the 125-150 is set up within the next year. ;)

Thanks to all and one more question

Thanks everyone!
One last question, my Tigers are about 1 and1/2 inches and my GWK are coming up on 3 inches. The new baby clown loaches are barely an inch long. Do I need to grow them out some before I add them in with the TB and GWK? I have quite a few hiding places but can add more if needed. Currently plastic plants...should I add some rock with small entrances so they can hide if needed but others can't get in to harass them?

Thanks again

That might be a good idea. I don't have much experience with the TB's, but I know GW's can be real terrors. You also want to be careful with killies when feeding bottom dwellers wafers and pellets..their mouths are so wide they can sometimes swallow those things whole, which can be detrimental to their health.

Thanks Siva,
I will add more hiding spots...but the loaches still have a couple of weeks of quarantine. As for the bottom wafers, I have always broken them into several chunks so none of the chunks are huge. I also usually feed the bottom dwellers after lights out and rest of critters have settled for the night so I think I am OK.

Another question for anyone who knows, I read somewhere that the clown loaches like a sand substrate..is this correct? I am just getting ready to buy the last items needed for the 40B I am setting up.

Thanks Bruin,
I love these Golden Wonders...and yes they can be bullies! I originally had them in with some large Black Neons and after a couple of days I found they had gnawed off the entire tail of one of them! I was really upset...but decided to try them one more time with my larger Tigers...that tamed the killies in a hurry! The 3 have now staked out their own territory in the 20 and leave everyone else alone.
You are also right about them being jumpers but my tanks are really tight due to my cats who think of the tanks as their own personal water bowls. They can still get small sips but have quit drinking from the killi tank cuz last time they did the killies gave them a "kiss" and scared the devil out of them! Really funny!
Thanks again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom