Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have 2 Jack Dempsey, an Oscar, a Pleco, and a yellow striped Raphael Catfish in a 75 gallon tank. I'm wondering if I would be able to introduce a couple of blood parrots? Another question slightly off this topic. Is aquarium salt really necessary. Also, will it harm the catfish?

You may be exceeding your limits on stocking but compatibility wise they are good. Aquarium salt isn't mandatory but it helps. It won't hurt any of your fish but help them. It helps them when they are sick or can't swim right.

your tank is overstocked, a pair of jack dempsey alone need a 75 gallon, an oscar alone needs a 75 gallon. i would say rehome the oscar and one of your JD's and you may be able to get some blood parrots

Ben9 said:
I currently have 2 Jack Dempsey, an Oscar, a Pleco, and a yellow striped Raphael Catfish in a 75 gallon tank. I'm wondering if I would be able to introduce a couple of blood parrots? Another question slightly off this topic. Is aquarium salt really necessary. Also, will it harm the catfish?

It would not be a good idea to introduce blood parrots to that setup. They are known for having problems competing for food with pigs like oscars. The aggression levels in that tank would likely stress the blood parrot and ultimately lead to their demise.

I would plan on getting rid of a good portion of those fish when they start growing. If that's a common pleco, it's absolutely got to be moved. I would also pick between the Oscar and JD's. They likely wot co-exist forever in that tank.

Is aquarium salt really necessary. Also, will it harm the catfish?

Everyone else was spot on for advice except Fishie with regards to stocking but with regards to aquarium salt that is absolutely useless to use on a weekly basis, there are some occasions when salt is used as medicinal purposes otherwise skip it.

Last edited:
Fishie said:
You may be reaching your limits on stocking but compatibility wise they are good. Aquarium salt isn't mandatory but it helps. It won't hurt any of your fish but help them. It helps them when they are sick or can't swim right.

I disagree on most of your points. These fish may be okay in an adequately sized tank compatibility wise, but all of them in a 75 is a problem waiting to happen IMO. Theyll likely be fine for a while, but i dont see these fish working out bioload wise as full grown adults.

I do agree on not adding tankmates. Another potential issue is if the Jd happen to pair up.

And no, aquarium salt isn't helping anything and shouldn't be used as a supplement or preventative. Salt is a good treatment for certain ailments but wait for them to arise, otherwise you are just playing chemist every water change.

I also have noticed that most of the people that dose aquarium salt don't even have a refractometer or hydrometer to monitor their levels.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
I disagree on most of your points. These fish may be okay in an adequately sized tank compatibility wise, but all of them in a 75 is a problem waiting to happen IMO. Theyll likely be fine for a while, but i dont see these fish working out bioload wise as full grown adults.

I do agree on not adding tankmates. Another potential issue is if the Jd happen to pair up.

And no, aquarium salt isn't helping anything and shouldn't be used as a supplement or preventative. Salt is a good treatment for certain ailments but wait for them to arise, otherwise you are just playing chemist every water change.

I also have noticed that most of the people that dose aquarium salt don't even have a refractometer or hydrometer to monitor their levels.

Well said jetajockey. I couldn't agree more. Everyone I know who advocates regular salt use has no system or monitoring and does a "spray and pray" approach in general. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish.

I save my aquarium salt for my QT tank in case I get a sick fish.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm looking into stocking issues right now. I'm glad you brought this more important issue to my attention.

Back
Top Bottom