Complete beginner - Dwarf Hairgrass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just redid my 6 gallon fluval edge aquarium, adding some dwarf hairgrass in the hopes of getting a nice carpet. I planted it about 2 weeks ago and it looks very sad. Before getting the new plants I upgraded the stock lighting to the 5W LED version from the 12gallon fluval edge. I do not know if this is sufficient lighting.

From reading on the forums it seems to be standard procedure that the dwarf hairgrass dies off as it switches from emersed to submersed?

The aquarium is located in the office so it was accidentally set to blackout the entire weekend. (I might have to get a timer for the light)

I have ordered new cartridges for the CO2 since I read that it might be good for them.

I have attached a before and after picture. I understand that it would carpet faster if it was in smaller patches, but I was just so happy to get it to stay on the bottom so I can live with a slow growth (as long as it will grow)

Attachments

• 2015-09-24 10.24.56.jpg
    2015-09-24 10.24.56.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 2015-10-05 11.20.19.jpg
    2015-10-05 11.20.19.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 131
Blackouts can take a toll quite quickly. And just a warning, dwarf hairgrass is going to be a challenge as a beginner :) I've had planted tanks for 10 months now and tried it twice. Both melted away.

You are going to need co2 injection, medium-high lighting, and fertilizers if you really want to see it carpet.

Caleb

I got the CO2 tank delivered today. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Anyone have any comments on my 5W LED light? is that enough for a 6Gal tank? Can I compensate low light with having it on for a longer time? 14-16 hrs instead of 8-12?

Wattage, as far as I know, is not necessarily a good indicator of light intensity on LED lights. But I could be wrong.

Either way, I doubt that a stock light will be enough to carpet DHG. It needs at least medium light and co2 to carpet, I hear. I don't think it's a good beginner plant at all. There are other low light carpet plants you could try:

Staurogyne repens - difficult for low light but not impossible
Hemianthus Micranthemoides - small leaves, should grow well in low-medium light especially with co2, but might be hard to maintain as a carpet
Elatine Triandra - I hear it's a great low light carpet plant that I personally wish to try in the future
Micranthemum tweedei aka Micranthemum monte carlo - will look good as a carpet but might be hard to grow

Various mosses, such as weeping or flame, could also work as a carpet.

That is if you don't want to upgrade your lighting, and assuming this puts you in the low-medium light range (30-50 PAR; PAR is a measurement of Photosynthetically Active Radiation, for our purposes its pretty much how strong the light is) most would recommend that you do not upgrade your lighting as that often brings algae problems.

I have a newer model Fluval Edge 12g. Not impressed with the stock lighting at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom