Complete noob....need some serious help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppingtetra30

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All. I've been going through tons and tons of posts trying to figure out what to do and Im just stumped with all the information available...Im hoping some of you folks can give me some advice.

I have been out of the aquarium game for quite a while, and even when I had one it was a simple 37 gallon with no plants, just fish.

Im trying to get back into it, and I got a great deal on a tank, but I really want to try my hand at a planted tank. From what I have gathered I want a low light tank, just want to keep it simple...but I dont know what equipment I need?!?

What I have:
75 gallon tank
48" light...fixture says 40w, bulb says 32w.
Filstar XP2
200w heater

Now, Im guessing that this light fixture is not adequate...could I add another one or do I need to replace it?

I also believe that the single XP2 is not going to work, but would it be fine if I added another one...or maybe if I just added a HOB?

I also believe that I need a second heater? This one looks like junk and its not submersible so I think I'll just sell it and get what I need...which is?

Im not sure what Im planting yet, and Im unsure of the fish. Im very flexible so I'd like to setup something low maintenance without spending a ton more money and I will find the plants and fish that work for that.

Thanks in advance!

I kept 2 dual t5 fixtures(not high output) over a 75g & it was just enough to keep low light plants alive...
Add an aquaclear 50 hob with your xp2&msube a powerhead for added flow..
New heater for sure&begin with seachem flourish comprehensive,api leafzone&seachem excel..Will get pricey over time using those so maybe dry ferts&glut once you've gained xp...

Hi All. I've been going through tons and tons of posts trying to figure out what to do and Im just stumped with all the information available...Im hoping some of you folks can give me some advice.

I have been out of the aquarium game for quite a while, and even when I had one it was a simple 37 gallon with no plants, just fish.

Im trying to get back into it, and I got a great deal on a tank, but I really want to try my hand at a planted tank. From what I have gathered I want a low light tank, just want to keep it simple...but I dont know what equipment I need?!?

What I have:

75 gallon tank

48" light...fixture says 40w, bulb says 32w.

Filstar XP2

200w heater

Now, Im guessing that this light fixture is not adequate...could I add another one or do I need to replace it?

I also believe that the single XP2 is not going to work, but would it be fine if I added another one...or maybe if I just added a HOB?

I also believe that I need a second heater? This one looks like junk and its not submersible so I think I'll just sell it and get what I need...which is?

Im not sure what Im planting yet, and Im unsure of the fish. Im very flexible so I'd like to setup something low maintenance without spending a ton more money and I will find the plants and fish that work for that.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

1. If you want to keep that light you can just double up. That should be plenty for a low light set up.

2. I run a canister and an HOB on my 75g. Over filtration never hurts. You might need a filter mod(DIY) if the current ends up too much for the fish. Aquaclear is quickly becoming my favorite HOB filter. It has tons of filter space for your goodies like biomedia, filter floss, Purigen, Etc...

3. I would get 2 150w heaters that way if one goes out your tank won't turn into a Popsicle before you can get a new one. Eheim Jäger heaters are always a favorite but they can be hard to find often because they are sold out. They are also fully submersible.

4. Some easy low light plants you can try:
Anubias (not planted-tie to rock or driftwood)
Java Fern (same as Anubias)
Amazon sword(needs root tablets)
Cryptocoryne species(also needs root tabs)
Wisteria
Java moss (this and Christmas will establish on rocks/driftwood etc)
Christmas moss
Hornwort (tie down or let it float)
Water sprite
Vallisneria

All of these you can grow with a decent lighting fixture. If you want to give a go with fertilizers, I have a thread for dry ferts. Liquid is very expensive with a tank this size. The thread goes in depth on how to dose them. I will post the link upon request.

If you have any questions just ask!
Here's my 75g planted with most of those plants listed above.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429141216.392703.jpg

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok thats awesome info! The guy I bought all this from also has a used XP2 (mine is brand new) and a brand new Aquaclear 110...they were both a good price so maybe I'll grab the Aquaclear from him. Would the single XP2 be fine for now till I've been up and running for a bit?

He also had more fixtures so I can grab another one from him. Would it make a difference what bulbs I put in the fixtures? He had more of this one I bought and some LED ones if those are better? If its not too expensive I could try to sell this one I have and get something else...

FWIW I dont want to have one of those big fixtures that sits way up off the tank though...this is in my living room, trying to keep it as aesthetically pleasing as I can for the wife :). Oh and I think the ones I have are T8.

Thanks again!

I am biased towards LED lights. 5 of my 6 tanks have one.

You do not need 2 filters running at first but it won't hurt if you run them both either.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Awesome, thanks again.

With the LED...I dont see that they list wattage or anything anywhere. Is there much of a difference between different units? Would it work better than a second T8?

LED can be complicated. You base LED off a PAR rating rather than watts. If it's a nice LED it will do better than the T8

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok so I think Im good now equipment wise. I have 2 200w heaters, the XP2 with the AC110, and 2 40w ballasts and I upgraded the bulbs to 40w Life Glo's.

Its up and running and I planted quite a few plants today. Im a little confused on what I should be dosing for fert's. I put in Flourish tabs for all the root feeders, and I put in a cap of Flourish liquid for the rest. How often should I use that? I also bought the Excel...do I need it and how much/often should I use it? Is there anything else I should be using? I think Im good and probably dont even need the excel but Im not sure.

Also, how long should I be leaving the lights on?

I also read that I should add some snails (malaysian trumpet snails?)? And how long should I wait till I add some fish?

Ive only been getting more into plants lately as well. What ive deciphered is, and take this not as expertise, lol, but 1-3w per gal is low light. 3-5w per gal is mid, 5-7+w per gal is high lighting. Alit of this i think also depends on refractal at depths of the tank as well. i.e. closer light is to substrste the stronger parts of the wattage they get. The taller the tank, the less wattage the low ground plants get. And a good lighting cycle can be 8-12hrs. 12 hrs being max for algae reasons. I try for 10hrs a day. If algae ever takes hold, I've learned that breaking up the light cycle helps. As in on for a few hrs, off an hour, on for a few hours. I use excel, flourish and root tabs. All explain well on the bottles directions. Hope this helps at all. Heres my 10 gal nursery tank that i grow out small plants in for my bigger tanks. Its only got 30 watts but being a 10 gal the lights are only abt a foot from the substrate. Im getting better with plants, but still have alot to learn, as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1429424959619.jpg
    1429424959619.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 46
Oh and the light cycle thing is easy with a timer. And if you get one, dont get an aquarium specific one. The cheap kinds at home depot or lowes or ace all work just as well. Also.... he he.... aquaclear H.O.B. filters rule. Swear by them.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom