Completely freshwater puff puff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading a lot about freshwater puffers lately. I REALLY like them, yeah I know shocker right, who doesn't? Problem I am having is conflicting information. Some sites say they are brackish, or fresh young then brackish as they get older, so on and so on....Are There any that are COMPLETELY freshwater their whole life? I have an empty 55, 45 long, and 30 sitting in my basement and was thinking about setting the 30 up for a puffer, or 2. I realize they are also very aggressive, but most sites say that some are capable to live with other fish. I will figure out what to do later, but my first thing is trying to find a breed that is completely freshwater.

Oh, and I put puff puff because apparently I have 1 to many tags. This needs fixed ADMINS, I am always getting this!!

I think mabu are FW water so are Falkari

Both get big

You say puffers but which type

I have been reading a lot about freshwater puffers lately. I REALLY like them, yeah I know shocker right, who doesn't? Problem I am having is conflicting information. Some sites say they are brackish, or fresh young then brackish as they get older, so on and so on....Are There any that are COMPLETELY freshwater their whole life? I have an empty 55, 45 long, and 30 sitting in my basement and was thinking about setting the 30 up for a puffer, or 2. I realize they are also very aggressive, but most sites say that some are capable to live with other fish. I will figure out what to do later, but my first thing is trying to find a breed that is completely freshwater.

Oh, and I put puff puff because apparently I have 1 to many tags. This needs fixed ADMINS, I am always getting this!!

Im also having issues with too many tags. I have to change my whole topic title, to post new threads at times :/ Hope it gets fixed.

In regards to your query, I'm pretty sure I read that red eye puffers a completely freshwater. No salt or brackish water needed. Just double check this though with google. They are smaller puffers, grow to about 2 inch, but extremely beautiful and saltwater looking fish.

I think mabu are FW water so are Falkari

Both get big

You say puffers but which type

Not sure by what you mean which type?? A puffer??

Also, sealife, Thanks I will look into that one as well, problem is everytime I find one that seems to be a little more common one site says one thing, another says something different. Walmart had some Green spotted puffers for only 4 dollars!! but from what I have read they require brackish water as some point in their life....

I have a Pea Puffer and a baby bristlenose pleco in a 10 gallon and they are Fine
Completely Freshwater. But even FW fish need salt for health benefits and electrolytes

Some of the puffers names mentioned in this thread is actually spelled "Fahaka puffer" and "Mbu puffer". Both will grow too large for your small tanks. There are many red eyed species of puffer either require freshwater, brackish water, or saltwater.

In general there are many freshwater puffers, most of them are rare, require solitary life (meaning no tankmates), and/or very inactive (does not move or hide all day). The only freshwater puffer that might have a chance of living well with other fish is the dwarf puffer, but its slim chance. Second best choice is amazon puffer, but even the most experienced hobbyist have trouble keeping this fish alive and healthy long-term. Your best bet is the dwarf puffer.

Fahaka and mbu puffers are true pets kinda like oscars. They know their owners like little dogs and they are really really cool fish. Their downside? They get huge, aggressive and down here in Texas where I am they are very expensive.

Yes, but aren't Aquarium salt and Marine salt different?

Aquarium salt is just that. Salt. Marine salt has a lot of minerals for Marine setups and reef tanks. I use aquarium salt for all my FW tanks. Helps keep parasites away, helps slime coat, overall health. Even my Dwarf Puffer gets a little. Very friendly little puffer. You would like that one.

After some more research, I think I will give up getting one. I do not want to stick just 1 fish in a 30 gallon. And I don't want to take on another tank for just one fish either. Beautiful fish, and they sound like alot of fun but its just not for me...

Aquarium salt is just that. Salt. Marine salt has a lot of minerals for Marine setups and reef tanks. I use aquarium salt for all my FW tanks. Helps keep parasites away, helps slime coat, overall health. Even my Dwarf Puffer gets a little. Very friendly little puffer. You would like that one.

Not all fish can have salt like cats and loaches and not good for plants.

After some more research, I think I will give up getting one. I do not want to stick just 1 fish in a 30 gallon. And I don't want to take on another tank for just one fish either. Beautiful fish, and they sound like alot of fun but its just not for me...

You could do six dwarf puffers if you broke the lines of sight with tall plants maybe?

Back
Top Bottom