Concerning Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys! (and girls)!

I havent been on AA in awhile, but now im back! And of course, it's because I have a question relating to aquariums.

Sooo these past few weeks I've been thinking of getting a few snails for my 20 gallon. Also in this tank is a school of silvertip tetras, 2 amano shrimp, 4 julii corys, and some plants and driftwood. Among the plants somewhere is the shell of my last tiger nerite snail :(. Since dear old mum banned anything larger than the shrimp, i cant get freshwater crabs or lobsters. Thats okay though, since I think snails are awesome. Just have a few questions concerning the types im looking at (nerite and assassin snails)

1. I've read that assassin snails are assassins for a reason. Will they pose any threat to nerites?
2. I don't have a snail infestation. What do assassins eat? Can I use algae flakes? Do they scavenge?
3. Nerites breed in only brackish water. If I were to breed them, how would i go about doing so?

Thank you all!
It's good to be back!

Hey, assassin snails would eat ANY other snails in your tank including the nitrites. There has also been reports of them eating dwarf shrimps, appx 1inch so I wouldn't get them unless they were on their own. If they were on their own I would get some tadpole snails from your lfs for free or try breeding MTS or ramhorns.

Back
Top Bottom