Concrete rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone ever tried putting concrete stones in a tank? It doesn't bubble with vinegar, so should it be safe??

Attachments

• image-3903701193.jpg
    image-3903701193.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 46
Concrete is aquarium safe. It will raise the hardness and pH slightly though. A lot of people use concrete on their DIY aquarium backgrounds.

Having said that, concrete stones by themselves do not look good. I'd suggest using good old, reliable granite. It comes in nice round shapes and won't alter water chemistry.

When I was deciding what to do with my new tank, I was thinking going for a natural-local look. Here in Duluth, MN, the Lake Superior shore has a ton of rounded stones; granite, slate, etc., including a bunch of rounded off concrete rubble. So I thought going to the shore and grabbing a few buckets of stones would be a unique look, but ultimately decided against it so I could go more plants, but the thought is still with me if I do another large tank.

Honestly the best places to get rocks are landscaping stores. Especially the big ones. There is one with an 8 acre lot where I live and they have every type of rock you could ever dream of. You can get exactly the kind of look you want with exactly the size and shape of rocks you want this way. And it'll only cost you about 10 bucks to do a nice malawi rockscape in a 55G tank. Could even be less than 10. Depends on what rocks you choose.

Has anyone ever tried putting concrete stones in a tank? It doesn't bubble with vinegar, so should it be safe??

We've used all sorts of rocks we've found, including some that were concrete stones (that washed ashore on the beach!) & they are quite awesome. They definitely have character, and we made sure there wasn't anything on them that could affect the fish or anything. My brother did put like a silicon or something on some of them, and used to only out them in the tankif they were coated in that to make them "safe" but has since given up on the trouble. The tank is beautiful and fine. ;)

Back
Top Bottom