Conflicting Information Regarding Eels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so I'm cycling a 60g. Basic plan is gonna be 8 denison barbs and I'm thinking 3 pictus catfish as bottom feeders (not 100% on what i want for bottom feeders). Haven't decided on plants but I really like how simple my tank looks. Sand substrate. I asked at my local shop if there were any eels that would do okay in my 60 and the guy said yes and mentioned the tire track eel and another one I don't remember (might have been a rope fish). From what I have read online most freshwater eels get rather large. Is it possible? Any suggestions or experience with this?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll be setting up a sixty gallon tank soon, as well. I did some research on it, and the best one I've found for a tank that size is the Peacock Eel. I believe they can grow to be about a foot, but not much bigger. Look them up :)

Thanks I might be getting one. They seem pretty low maintenance once they get situated.

Does anyone know if they can be them is that kept with Oscars? One of the things I read about they can be kept with Jack Dempsyes and I am new to most cichlids.

Oscars would be a risk. Just read that someone's Oscar ate a peacock eel that was nearly three inches longer than the Oscar. It might work, but it might not. Basically, don't get the Oscars for that tank it you don't need to. The eel should do fine with the barbs and the catfish, as long as it's big enough.

One more note: From what I've read, they can be rather shy. It might be a good idea to drop food directly at one of it's hiding places, rather than making it compete with the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom