Confused by my Drop Checker readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfrank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a little confused by my drop checker readings at the moment. I woke up this morning to find it quite yellow-green. It is the sera brand tester. The confusing part is I have no source of CO2 within the tank to speak of at the moment. Yesterday it was dark green before I put any plants in, and I only put in 7 small-medium sized plants. I'm presuming that their little bit of respiration over the night caused it to change to yellow-green. My CO2 system arrives later today, and I have yet to add fish to the aquarium. The water level is down about an inch from the top so that my HOB creates a fair amount of disturbance. pH has been reading 7.2-7.3 by my test kit, while kH has been kinda low, ranging down to 2 drops after a water change and up to 4 drops after it has been in there a while. Ammonia is being eaten up like it's going out of style, but both my nitrites and nitrates are sky high (both dark red on my sera test kit), even after a 40% PWC yesterday.

Thoughts?

A couple of things come to mind... first off, are you using tank water or a 4dkh reference solution in the drop checker? Secondly, as for the reagent (Bromthymol blue), which are you using (i.e. comes with the kit, API pH test, eBay a la China, etc)? I'm unfamiliar with a sera brand DC.

Back
Top Bottom