Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrfishypants

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I currently have a 20 gallon tank six danios cycling??
Water
Ammo 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 5 +
Tested on api master test kit
How do I get the nitrite down
Have I Been feeding fish too much
Pinch of tetra flake once a day?

Welcome to the site :)

Wow, you've got several massive water changes in your near future. 5ppm of ammonia is extremely toxic and deadly to your fish. The way they are reduced is by doing large and frequent water changes with fresh, temperature matched, dechlorinated water.

I would immediately go do a 75% water change, let the water circulate for 15 minutes and do another 75% change. After that, test your levels and see where they are. The goal during a fish-in cycle should be to keep ammonia and nitrIte at or below .25 at all times until the tank is cycled.

Having a quality dechlorinator like Seachem Prime can be a big help as well because it will temporarily neutralize the toxins for 24-36 hours.

Here's a great guide to help you (and especially your fish) through it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I don't mean to sound negative, but this is an emergency situation and your fish are suffering...I hope you go do the water changes as soon as you finish reading this post.

eco23 said:
Welcome to the site :)

Wow, you've got several massive water changes in your near future. 5ppm of ammonia is extremely toxic and deadly to your fish. The way they are reduced is by doing large and frequent water changes with fresh, temperature matched, dechlorinated water.

I would immediately go do a 75% water change, let the water circulate for 15 minutes and do another 75% change. After that, test your levels and see where they are. The goal during a fish-in cycle should be to keep ammonia and nitrIte at or below .25 at all times until the tank is cycled.

Having a quality dechlorinator like Seachem Prime can be a big help as well because it will temporarily neutralize the toxins for 24-36 hours.

Here's a great guide to help you (and especially your fish) through it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

I don't mean to sound negative, but this is an emergency situation and your fish are suffering...I hope you go do the water changes as soon as you finish reading this post.

Done what you said test results now are
Ph 7.4
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
What's your thinking now?

Mrfishypants said:
Done what you said test results now are
Ph 7.4
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
What's your thinking now?

Good. I would keep an eye it. Keep doing what you're doing.

You've got good advice above. :) You're in the nitrite spike phase of the cycle which is a dangerous time for the fish. It's great you got the nitrite down to .25, but test the water at least once per day b/c nitrites are going to shoot back up again. Any time they get over .25 do a pwc to get them down as close to 0 as you can. Eventually the tank will keep the nitrite at 0 on its own (which means its cycled), until then lots of testing and pwc. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom