connecting 2 ocean clear 318 canisters in a series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, I have a Discus tank (135 gallons) set up and running for about 7 months now. Fish are doing fine and growing well. My setup consists of an overflow sponge filter system (1 left and 1 right) before it goes down the drain tubes over a polyester filter pad, into an amonia reducing and carbon media reactor into a 20 gallon wet / dry sump with bioballs. After this step it goes into an ocean clear 318 canister (water polishing and BB housing) and finally into a 35Watt UV sterilizer before being pumped back into the tank. I came across another ocean clear 318 canister on ebay for $70 which included all the fittings and filters (of course I would get a new filter incert, or re-use one I already have in circulation). FINALLY my question, would I see any benefit from connecting the two ocean clear 318s in a series before going into the UV sterilizer? I have had NO problems with my current set up, but was wondering about the potential benefits of redundant filtration. Yea or nay? I am NOT lazy when it comes to W/C and do about 60 gallons of R/O per week. I have to add some supplements for the Amazon plants (Macro and micro ferts) as well as occasional tabs of (Iron, Trace, Total and Phosphate). will my addition of a second 318 help or be negligible? My top 318 is 50 microns and my bottom 318 is 30 microns. Any answers or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Dwayne:angel:

Nevermind....I got my answer and the answer is yes. The canisters just have to be under pressure which they are before going into my 36W UV sterilizer. With the pump wide open, I dont lose any volume on the return lines. There is some added requirement for O2 with the increased BB load, but with the wet/dry sump I am using, there is no problem. I run CO2 during the day with light, and O2 at night for the benefit of both fish and plants.

Back
Top Bottom