Considerations for my 55 (a novel).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Due to the "simple" task of combining all my tanks into one, I've got some very interesting interactions in my 55g. I'm trying to make an environment that everyone can be happy in. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Rhino Pleco:
I have a 10 inch pleco (he's his max size, I believe). He crams himself between driftwood and the side of the tank. He really needs a cave, I think. However, I have a hard time finding a cave to fit him, as he's about 4 -5 in wide, I think. I was thinking about something like this. Alternatively, I'm going to get a plastic "pigloo" (shaped like an igloo, for rabbit/guinea pigs) or ferret tunnel. However, I don't want the plastic to detract from the tank. I'd like to cover it with coconut mat (used to line hanging baskets) and plant something like java fern into it (other suggestions welcome too). I'm not sure if its safe for fish though. As a last resort, I'm considering a large terra cotta pot, but its not my ideal.
Also, this big doof keeps laying on my plants and uprooting them. I've resorted to planting them in spaces surrounded by curves/holes in the driftwood, which doesn't always protect them. I have also attached java moss and fern directly to the wood. I think once Mr. Rhino gets a cave he'll spend less time trying to wedge himself under the driftwood and the plants will get a chance to root.

Ctenopoma acutirostre:
I love this guy. He does best in a planted tank, so I want at least a small densely planted area in the tank so he can be comfortable. However, my pleco is the main obstacle to this. So I'm thinking about anchoring lots of water sprite to the driftwood, or just letting it float freely. Or, ideas of tall, lush plants that could be rooted to driftwood or happy in a terra cotta pot in the corner would be nice. My other issue with this guy is that he's a stalker. He sneaks up on his food. My Alestes chaperi, on the other hand, are smash-and-grab eaters. They often rip food right out from his nose. Right now the ctenopoma is in a 10 g so he can get a few good meals before he joins the alestes again in the new tank. It's unbelievable how much the Alestes eat. When they've eaten everything meant for them, they'll carry off the pleco's wafers. They seem to be mid to low level swimmers, though, so the ctenopoma could probably eat from the surface. I would, however, like to put him on live food since he seems to be a slow grower (are they supposed to be?), but I don't want all that good stuff going to fat tetras that'll eat literally anything. Do you think a worm cone feeder could be a solution (bonus for ctenopoma that it's near the surface. Perhaps it could be nestled behind the plants? The alestes are open water guys).

New additions?
I'd like to add a few more fish, some that would balance the big pleco and the 6 or so inches the ctenopoma will eventually reach. I'd like to get another ctenopoma, and I'm considering a severum, but I'm open to suggestions. Open water or upper level swimmers would be preferred, as they are virtually unoccupied right now. Other inhabitants in the tank, besides those already mentioned, are a pair of kribs and two apple snails.

55.jpg

Here's a pic of the tank right after set up. You can see the driftwood, how I've had to shelter the plants with the driftwood, and Mr. Rhino poking his head out from the back. Now there's a few more fish and plants (uprooted and floating at the surface, heh), but it's the driftwood is still the only hardscape in there.

Thanks for your insights!

Since I'm not familiar with a lot of the species you are keeping, I can only comment on those that I do.

I happen to have a large 8" Sailfin Pleco in my heavily planted tank. He does occassionally uproot delicate root plants or moosh down the leaves of crypts or other low-lying plants. I have combated this with the use of more heavy, dense root plants (L. repens, bacopa, etc) and they stay rooted. I would suggest some anubias for the driftwood.

I've seen that cave used in the past and I built my own from some pagoda and fedder stone. If you can see the links in my sig, the cave will be visible on the left.

Severums are aggressive with getting more than their fair share of food. They eat at any part of the tank and the Ctenopoma won't get much food. I have severums only with fish that are nearly/just as aggressive with getting their food.
Another Ctenopoma would probably work.

I've never even considered anubias before, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't remember severums being all that bad, but it's been a while since I've had one and I'm looking back through the lens of other cichlids I've had.
Now I'm thinking nice big group of Gambusia affinis. They're upper level swimmers and have just the right personality to go with the rest of the mean buggers in the tank. And the ctenopomae will keep the population in check.
I just noticed you have a ctenopoma too, Rok. :) Yours a slow grower too?

Yeah, he is.

I wasn't saying that the severums are very aggressive in temperament but they basically try to get every little morsel of food they can. I'm sure it's possible to keep them together but you'd probably have to try to feed them on two different sides of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom