Constipated Betta - I've tried everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copplanes

Aquarium Advice Activist
IMG_5884.jpg
10 days ago i started a treatment for parasites(just finished) and he stopped showing symptoms almost immediately after beginning the medication.
i haven't noticed a poo at all since then, but in all fairness i wasn't paying attention to it the first few days.
he's currently in a 5 gallon hospital tank(only filled with one gallon of water, 78 degrees)

he's hungry! he's excited and doesn't look bloated and he's swimming fine. but i haven't physically seen anything at all. i've tried the blanched pea, which he ate, i tried mysis shrimp(i've heard the roughage of their exoskeleton can help) and i've tried epsom salt
(i didn't overfeed, each time i gave him anything it was after a 48 hour fast)

i have a new and wonderful 10 gal aquarium cycling that i want to add him to as soon as it's ready, but i want to make sure he's digesting his food first.

any recommendations would be lovely. thanks!

i forgot to add i've been doing 50% water changes every day.

If he's eating and active, I wouldn't think he's constipated. When my bettas were constipated, they'd get very sluggish. Not sure about the lack of visible feces, though.

he's not active unless he sees me. he's generally lethargic, but i've been thinking he's just bored because he's in a completely bare tank and sad from being sick...

he's not active unless he sees me. he's generally lethargic, but i've been thinking he's just bored because he's in a completely bare tank and sad from being sick...

Bettas do like spots to rest on, so perhaps he's just taking a breather. They're also typically inquisitive and like to explore, so it may well be he's bored. Maybe a couple of decorations will spark his interest while his new home is being readied.

I suggest adding gravel to the tank, as it helps produce essential bacteria to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom