Continuous water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had an idea concerning water changes in my tank. I've got 58 gallons, so I try to change about 10 gallons each month, either all at once or every other week. From what I've read, it seems beneficial to do smaller changes more frequently rather than the other way round. So this leads me to wonder: would it be best to have a continuous water change system?

This would work as follows: two containers of roughly the same size (say, 10 gallons in my case) are connected to the main tank or the sump (if I had one); one for new saltwater, one for waste. The flow from the new saltwater container to the main tank and from the main tank to the waste container is set so that it averages to roughly the monthly water-change load. The flow could be regulated by pumps or gravity-siphon system. New saltwater could be mixed directly in the "new" container and the waste container could be dumped when full (or hooked directly to a drain, if I'm industrious).

What does everyone think of this brainstorm? Half-baked, or worth a try?

that's an interesting, thought, actually. I myself hate WC's and I keep having to do 20% every two weeks (fighting cyano).

Anyway, just a few problems that I see.

1. If you're draining and adding at the same time, some small volume you added will be drained, so it really wouldn't be a 10% WC....of course, you could just do 15% to be safe

2. How are you going to keep the salinity level in the water to be added constant? I guess you could refill it with well aged, aerated and brought to temp water every week or two, but then that would defeat the whole purpose of "less work"--ha

By the way, if you ever figure this out and make it work, call me, I want in on the profit sharing--this thing would sell like hot cakes and I'd be the first one buying. (don't forget to patent it)

Back
Top Bottom