Controlling Java Moss (2 ideas) photo journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabbycat0282

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I wanted Java Moss for my tank because it is easy to grow, fry and invertebrates love it, and it helps the water like other plants. The problem is that I bought some (1 ounce/fist full without water) for $5 and it was WAY TOO MUCH for my 5 gallon tank! What to do...

I have decided to make a backdrop, and tunnel of Java Moss for my tank. I don't have much experience with Java Moss at all, but thought I would give my idea a try. I expect that my clown pleco and platy will grow to love the tunnel.

This thread will document the process.

Please leave comments or post pics of things that you have done similar to this. If you try this please let me know how it works! Happy growing!!

Supplies: plastic craft canvas (get from local craft store...usually kept near the yarn), fishing line or other clear plastic thread, scissors, Java Moss, and a little imagination.

When I got the moss I didn't have the supplies so I kept it wound up in plastic mesh bag floating in my tank until I got my supplies 2 days later. Here is a pic with the bag-o-moss in my tank.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/tabbycat0282/tank001.jpg

Directions:
1)cut the canvas to the desired size (2 panels) and stitch them together on one end to make a hinge
2)RINSE THE CANVAS OFF WITH TAP WATER AND SHAKE DRY
3)place the Java Moss on one side of the canvas sandwich thinly, but not stingy
4)I then cut my moss once it was lying on the canvas a little more to make sure it had lose ends to grow through the canvas more evenly ...we will see if that was a bad idea later
5)close the other side of the canvas over the moss and stitch all the way around the canvas to make a moss pocket. You must make sure that a fish cannot get in between the layers of the plastic!
6)place in tank and hopefully watch it grow

Pics:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/tabbycat0282/tank004-1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/tabbycat0282/tank013.jpg

you can see the tunnel (green) and the background (black) moss creations in the following pic
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/tabbycat0282/tank015.jpg

If I could figure out how to keep the pics a little smaller I would just post them here...but I can't figure that out tonight for some reason.

Here are your pics:
tank001.jpgtank004-1.jpgtank013.jpgtank015.jpg

I have some questions. When you folded the canvas over the moss did you fold it over the top of the moss or the roots? What is the purpose of making it a sandwich?

Looking Good!

This moss to my understanding and visual inspection doesn't have roots. That is the problem with the Java Moss. If I didn't restrain it in some way it was going to separate and make a mess of my tank (little green strands hanging off of everything and floating around blocking the light from the other plants).

I made the sandwich to restrain the moss completely. I am hoping that through the light exposed side there will be moss growing through the canvas. I would love to let it get bushy and then trim it to be full and neat like a hedge.

Other people just attach their moss to decorations in the tank, but I didn't have any decorations to attach it to. I had to create my own.

How did you get my pics up? New to forums.....

You are correct that Java Moss (and all mosses for that matter) do not have roots, however, they will attach to surface if given enough time. You just need to trim it periodically so that it doesn't get too thick causing the lower levels to die off resulting in it detaching from the surface.

Update: my moss creations have been in the tank for 1 week.

The tunnel in the center of my tank has some (15-20 'arms') very fine new growth protruding from the light exposed side.

The back wall doesn't look any different moss-wise. My sword plant (connected baby plant) has an extensive root system that has found its way to the canvas wall and is having more of an impact on the back wall than the moss is at this point. I don't think the back wall is getting enough light (shadowed by stock filter in hex tank).

The night I put the tunnel into the tank my pleco avoided it like the plague. The next morning the pleco was in the tunnel (yay!!!) and has been spending his days there every since.

The snails love to climb on the tunnel and back wall.

The tunnel is getting more growths/arms, but the back wall only has one or two. My tank has taken a plunge toward the acidic side....could the moss be dead in the back panel and be causing my water to turn acidic?

The back panel is not getting enough light. I have removed the back and placed it in my QT (2 gal) with cheap light on in front of a window. I will give the wall a few days and then decide if I need to get a better bulb and give it some 'spot light' treatment. If this doesn't work I will have to resort to sewing moss to the canvas and letting it root itself to the canvas. I was hoping to end up with a more manicured look (that is why I am trying to grow it between 2 pieces of canvas), but alive is better than dead! Stay tuned for updates.

Back
Top Bottom