Controlling Java Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-Aqua

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been reading up on Java Moss and most places that have articles on it seem to say if you don't watch it carefully it will grow like weeds. I wanted to put java moss on my three driftwood pieces and add some in my pots for breeding purposes. However, I don't want to spend hrs on hrs trying to control a outburst of java moss. Whats are the best ways to keep it under control?

My lighting is Coralife Deluxe 48" PC 130watt 50/50

Pic of the tank...
img_817297_0_8b430b4b62d07898bcd86b0c4d15d002.jpg

Let me know, and thanks in advance!
J

It won't be a problem. Just tear it off as it grows beyond your liking. It's not an instantaneous explosion of plant growth. You'll be fine.

Since you are running a low light tank, I wouldn't think you would have any problems with the moss growing too much.

Thanks for the replies!

Ok, how would you attach the moss to the driftwood? :D

I like to use cotton thread, as it generally disintegrates around the time that the moss decides to attach. It's not harmful to the aquarium and you don't have to worry about removing it.

Purrbox said:
I like to use cotton thread, as it generally disintegrates around the time that the moss decides to attach. It's not harmful to the aquarium and you don't have to worry about removing it.

Were would one get cotton thread at? :)

I've also been reading on "Fissiden sp zippelianus" and this looks WAY better then Java Moss. Is this stuff harder to take care of under my tank?

Thanks agian!

Cotton thread, from any store that sells sewing supplies. Try WalMart or a sewing store (not cotton blend thread though).

Java Moss grows really slow at fist then really seems to take off (at least for me). But isn't hard to control.

Back
Top Bottom