converting gravel to sand, what to do with canister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36g bowfront and will be converting gravel to sand. My fluval 206 intake is about 3 inches from the gravel surface. I have some questions about what to do with the filter during the conversion.

Should I put the fuval in a bucket with the fish and turn the flow low or leave it in the 36g turned off until I do the change.

how long after the change from gravel to sand should I return the filter to operation?

should I leave the fish in the tank or put them in a bucket with the fluval? 13 neon tetras, 2 gourami, 4 guppy, 4 cory cats

I would wait around an hour to make sure the sand all settles to the bottom of the tank after the fill up. Then turn the filter back on to help clear it up. Then I'd start adding the fish back into the tank. If it's going to take a while and the fish are going to be stuck in the bucket. Then I would just change some of the water every so often in the bucket to keep the water safe.

Back
Top Bottom