Converting to LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenkslack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have purchased a 100ltr tank with a view to creating a planted community tank. Currently the fluorescent lighting doesn't work and I was thinking about replacing this with an LED source.

1) will I still be able to generate the wattage needed with LEDs for healthy plant growth?

2) what sort of lights should I be using?

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

LED's work the best out of all lights IMO. Some good lights that will grow plants are from the Finnex brand. They have a lot of good lights. Hopefully some lighting professionals can help you out here.

Nils

You need about 1 or 2 watts per gallon with LEDs for a planted tank.
I've read online suggesting 2-5watt per gallon for a planted tank, but I think it's overkill.

You need about 1 or 2 watts per gallon with LEDs for a planted tank.
I've read online suggesting 2-5watt per gallon for a planted tank, but I think it's overkill.

The watt per gallon rule does not apply for LEDs. Instead look at the lights PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) which is a much better way to determine light strength.

Knowing what plants you want to grow changes the light you get, and its hard to make suggestions until we know that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The watt per gallon rule does not apply for LEDs. Instead look at the lights PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) which is a much better way to determine light strength.

Knowing what plants you want to grow changes the light you get, and its hard to make suggestions until we know that.

Yeah, I would go with PAR. But one thing you can do is get a very high par light, and lower the settings. I use the Satellite Current Plus Pro, its 100Par ~12in and its fully adjustable the whole color spectrum (red,white,blue,green), so if you dont need so much you can lower the intensity (0 "off" -> 100 "Full") on each color channel.

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Satellite-Comparison-V3.pdf

http://imagizer-cv.imageshack.us/a/img537/9057/P0j7CI.jpg

Hi!
LED lighting is the future of the hobby. Not only does it produce superior results but it is highly efficient in power usage. PAR is what you are looking for with LED lights and most of the well know fixtures have values published on other forums. For a cheaper way to get into LED lights and still have awesome functionality and results I would recommend a Finnex Planted+ of a Finnex 24/7. I my self have never used a finnex fixture but have head many stories of those that love them. If you are looking to grow low light plants only then a current USA satellite+ may be a good option as well. If you happen to have some money thats burning a hole in your pocket a BML (build my led) is just about the pinnacle of LED power and performance right now but Finnex is catching up. I happen to own a BML and run it on my 55 gallon and love it. Awesome light output and color rendition all while currently supplying the highest amount of PAR in the industry. Hope this helps and if you have another questions be sure to ask! (y)

+1 to what advice Dallas has offered..
What're the dimensions of your tank? WPG is an outdated concept,par values at depths tend to be the most up to date concept in determining what fixture is the best fit for the situation it is intended for..

sit in silence

100ltr so 25g I guess.

Great advice guys. Lots for me to look into!

Dimensions h40cm w35cm l80cm

15.7" tall×13.7"wide×31.4"long for us Americans. The current sat plus pro is probably your best option because it should be able to go from low light up to high light in a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom