Convict cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, give me the low down..I see that a lot of folks like them, but they tend to breed like rabbits..

temperament?
species only tank?
size (adult)

odds and ends you think I should know about.
*oh, someone near me has a ton of babies for free, trying to decide if I have room/tank space for them

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.... many lfs's won't even take the babies for free, so you'd be looking at trying to rehome them through craigslist more than likely. More trouble than it's worth, IMO.

HA..never noticed this section...course I don't have what I would consider a cichlid (angels don't count, their nice LOL)

we are planning on moving next summer and the closest LFS is over 50 miles away...so I'm planning on taking a few of the more "basic" fish and plants and doing a bit of selling out of the house. Got some guppies(bought three, have 12 now), bristle nose(babies) and mickey mouse platties(juvies) along with my RCS..none of the rest seem interested in breeding (angels, rasboras and black skirts) atm

I love convicts, but mainly females with bright colours. I have a picture in my profile of one I have. Females don't grow very big either. Around 10cm average, give or take.

Its true that they breed like crazy, and most aquariums wont be enthusiastic to take them off you.

They are quite aggressive. Even the females. Which is different to what the internet has told me. So don't believe everything you see online.
Mine tried to kill every bristlenose catfish in tank. And they chase other fish around a lot, and show strong dominance to mark territory.

They have better luck with other aggressive American cichlids like Salvini, Texas, etc etc As long as the tank is big enough....

I'll post pic of my female here. She's 5cm big.
fish convict.jpg

cm to inches..they only get to about 4 or 5 inches?..could I keep 2 to a 10 gal tank (both female or both male)..these are babies so I have some time to upgrade tanks.

Male Convicts = 5 to 6 inches Roughly
Female Convicts = 3 to 4 inches Roughly

10g is a bit small. Just...
In my opinion, I would do 15g to 20g for 1 adult female. Internet says minimum 20 to 30g for 1 adult convict though....

Up to you if you want to try it in your 10g tank. As babies it would be fine. Not sure how it would go after.

Back
Top Bottom