Convict laying, stretching my head tho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerosx

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased this female a week ago she is barely pushing an inch in length I thought they don't mature till 3 inches or so.....

ForumRunner_20121010_232109.jpg

She mated with a male pink 3 times her size....

LOL, no. Size is less important than age. They can be sexually mature in as little as 3 to 4 months. I've had female cons spawn at 1.5". Males don't seem to mature quite as early, but I've had males spawn at 2.5".

WYite

Yea there a great fish to have. I was moving the eggs to a 40 breeder this first time and I had to move all the rocks out of my 75 in order to catch the two of them but I made the mistake of getting the male fish and putting him in with the eggs first since he's 4 1/2 inches was a lot easier .. Since the female was only 3/4 inch she was a pain to catch safely and took 20 mins to get. In that time the male gobbled up the eggs. Sheeshhh that was stupid of me... I was so tired after work I wasn't thinking. The male wasn't aggressive to the female at all tho so I thought nothing of it.. But i digress.. They mated 3 days ago tho the fry should be here today but I was not prepared to move them to the breeder so I imagine there will be an all out war by the time I get home they share a tank with two fire mouths about 3 1/2 long and a green terror that's pushing 2 1/2. Should of moved then but what can u do I had no time and was still preparing the breeder we'll see what happens

Back
Top Bottom