cooling an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

praedld

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our old house has minimal air conditioning. As the temp climbs into the 80s i was wondering how best to control the heat.

I wouldn't be overly concerned until the tank water starts pushing past about 84 degrees, then you can try freezing 16oz water bottles and floating them in the tank.
A fan blowing across the surface of the water will also provide some evaporative cooling as well.
Be sure to maintain good oxygenation of the water as the temps climb, either by dropping some airstones in there or some other means of good surface agitation that will be sure to circulate the lower layers of water to the top continuously.

Cooling a Tank

Our old house has minimal air conditioning. As the temp climbs into the 80s i was wondering how best to control the heat.

Hello pra...

I have a large box fan I set up and run close to the tank when the room gets a bit warm. The currculating air around the tank keeps the temperature around 80 degrees.

B

I use computer fans some blow in as others pull out , on the hot days it holds steady at 80*,

I use computer fans some blow in as others pull out , on the hot days it holds steady at 80*,

I did the same thing with the canopy I made for my tank, a 60mm intake, 120mm exhaust. Gonna put another 120 in place of the 60, just haven't gotten around to it. :oops:
It helps prevent the heat building up from the lights and ensures fresh air is always being circulated at the water surface.

Back
Top Bottom