Cooling fish tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Howdy. It's been a while.
Today marks the first day of what is expected to be a hot and dry summer in my area. That being said, I'm looking into a semi-permanent solution to cooling one of my two tanks. The second tank (the one I don't have to worry about) is located in my basement, and therefore I don't need to worry about keeping it cool- the basement is doing it naturally for me.

The tank I'm talking about is my 36gal, Central American display tank. Its become a staple in my living room decorum, so moving it to a cooler room is not an option. While I don't have central air, I do have a window air conditioner, which effectively cools the entire house. That being said, when it was 36 degrees C (aprox. 97 degrees F for the Americans on the site) a couple weeks ago, my tank too, was about 30 degrees C (86 degrees F).

For my fish- that is too high, as I have been keeping the fish very much alive and healthy at 27 degrees C (80 degrees F) for several months. I had noted that a lot of my fish, much like humans during hot weather, had become sluggish and weren't moving as much as I want them to be. As a temp. solution, I had put some ice in a ziploc bag, and slowly brought the temperature back down.

So I need a way to assist the cooling of the tank, sometimes without me or anyone else being home. I can get the air outside the tank to a decent temperature, so I was thinking of running a secondary air pump to run a radiator of airlines to bring cool air into the tank. Other than this, I have no other ideas, so if any others have ideas, please share.

If cost is not an issue, consider investing in a chiller. They do not 'freeze' your tank as the name implies but simply work in the opposition to a heater. When the temp reaches a number too high, the chiller kicks in to reduce it. Just the same as the heater that kicks in when the temp reaches a number too low. They are more common in sw setups that have very specific environmental needs (and very expensive stock) and fw tanks that house cool water species in hot climates. Just something to consider!

Aquarium chillers

Back
Top Bottom