copepod refuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm debating on trying to build a home for copepods by taking a dead clam shell about 3" long and putting a jumbo shrimp in it, close it so it has just a slight opening, then put it in the sump.

Thoughts?

jumbo shrimp? are you cycling? I am pretty sure you can just put some live rock in a low flow area in your sump and the copepods will live there. basicly all they need is a place where they will not get eaten by fish. you can even do it in your DT if you can arange the rocks so there is an area not accessable to fish.

I was just reading that one way to really cultivate copepods is by taking 2 flat rocks and placing a shrimp of whatever size between them, that way they have a food source and a place away from predation. I figured a clam shell would be an easy portable way to cultivate them, after a few weeks, just move the clam shell up to the DT swish it around some, then put it back.

Can you post that link? Just curious cause I've never heard of putting a raw/dead animal in a tank.. Perhaps in a separate tank, maybe..

If you could that would be great, just for my edumacation...

Thanx

I was just reading that one way to really cultivate copepods is by taking 2 flat rocks and placing a shrimp of whatever size between them, that way they have a food source and a place away from predation. I figured a clam shell would be an easy portable way to cultivate them, after a few weeks, just move the clam shell up to the DT swish it around some, then put it back.

they will get food from the LR and you don't have to put a giant NH4 source in your tank. the pods will find there own way up to the DT through the pumps. just make sure the LR is after any socks or sponges or they will get filtered out.

they will get food from the LR and you don't have to put a giant NH4 source in your tank. the pods will find there own way up to the DT through the pumps. just make sure the LR is after any socks or sponges or they will get filtered out.

I also read that most if not all copepods that travel through modern aquarium pumps are shredded and killed. Can't recall where I read that but it sounds plausible.

The last is most def untrue (esp the 'all' part). Having seen them come blowing out of my return when doing sump maintenance and swimming like crazy for the bottom before anyone notices.

I sure hope you can find it, it sounds like an enjoyable read.

I agree, when I clean out my filter they are all over the placce in there....that's after they have gone through the impeller....

Cool, it sounds to me like cultivating them is a lot easier than what I've read other people made it out to be. Which is great news.

I've been combing the net for about an hour trying to find the article I read that in, but with no luck :-/ I must have been reading about something else and copepods came up. If I find it later on down the road I'll come back to this thread and post it.

Back
Top Bottom