Copperband Butterfly and Flame Scallop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know there is a chance a Copperband Butterfly may nip at my corals, and most certainly clean out all the small feather dusters and my big christmas tree duster, but what about a flame scallop? I know they like clams. Trying to weight he pros and cons of this fish.

Thanks for any input.
mattdean

It seems like to me that they have a dismal surviving record. I had one way back and a blue damsel I had then killed him. I`l talking about the flame scallop.

Unfortunately, from what I understand the copperband butterfly doesn't have a great survival record either. I really think a 46 gallon is too small for one anyway- jmo.

I agree...neither is a great option due to survival history. The flame, in general, does not do well in any tank and the copperband needs a larger one for a greater chance. Sorry

Thanks for the replies.

I already have the scallop and will do what I can to help it thrive. It has a nice cave it seems happy in and I'm target feeding him as well as my christmas tree feather duster. So far, he seems content.

Is there another "show" fish - something really eye catching - that would go in my 46 gal with a clownfish, purple firefish, a cardinal and blue tang? (it's a VERY small blue tang, about the size of a quarter)

I only want one other fish, because that's more than enough for the tank. I have a 10 gal refugium going for it as well, just for stability.

I kept a flame scallop very much alive and with added growth for over 3 years by spot-feeding phytoplankton every other day. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it due to a move. You will eventually have to remove the blue tang, as you know, but as far as another eye catching fish, what about a Mystery wrasse, blue assessors (at least 5), dwarf angel (Flame), pygmy angel (Japanese pygmy), or a small harem of anthias (1 male 2-3 female)?

Last edited:
Great suggestions Innovator! Those are all amazing looking fish, and i would have said the same. Another small but nice looking fish is the pajama cardinalfish. I think those look really nice too.

Thanks for the suggestions. The Mystery Wrasse is crazy gorgeous. I'll definitely look at getting one of those. The Japanese Angel is a bit too pricy for me :( But, again, very nice.

I didn't much like the Pajama Cardinal, don't know why. However, i did pick up a beautiful Bengai Cardinal (My wife really liked it - as do I). Should be a nice contrast from the other fish.

I just came back from the LFS to pick up my Purple Firefish. It's a beauty! Got a great deal on it, too. $30 Canadian, but they gave me almost full price back on a trade in I brought in (Chromis and a coral) so I ended up getting it for nothing plus a credit! yay!

So, as I said, I was already spot feeding the flame and it is very happy now. Will keep it up for sure. I knew I would have to trade in the tang eventually, but this one is so small, I should have it for a while.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom