Coral Life Super Skimmer (for a 65) (Nib on output tube?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am confused.
After returning the hunk o' junk sea clone, I bought a Coral Life Super Skimmer. On the output pipe, there is a small nib to which you may attach airline hose. Now if I use the bubble catcher, water comes out of the nib. Without the bubble catcher, bubbles. My idea therefore was to attach air line hose to the nib so that the water could be returned to the tank and not spurt all over the back of the tank. However, now, no bubbles come out of the output tube if it is submersed. If it is above water, bubbles come out. What is this nib for, exactly, and how should it be properly used? And no, the manual has gone walksies. All the best. Jeff

That "nip" is the escape path for the air in the returning water. It has be be set straight up. Your bubbles diffuser box is not set up properly that's why water is coming out of that nip. The sponge pad has to be 1" away from the black sponge. HTH

"nip" in quotes is correct.
I meant nib.
OK.
I see.
So the black the sponge will sit in the diffuser box 1 inch higher than the white pad, leaving a 1 inch gap of plastic?
Also, has anyone had to shorten the hose return as it seems to really press into the diffuser box.
Jeff

Which corallife skimmer did you get? You need to make sure that the return hose is about 1" above the white pad not the black sponge, you might have to cut the flex tube so that it is 1" above the white pad. I have mine about 1 1 to 1 1/2 inches above the white pad. and it works great.

Hi,
I have the one rated up to a 65 gallon aquarium, which will be a bit small for my 55, but I do have supplemental filtration.
I'll give the flex a cut and see how that works out.
How bad are bubbles just entering tank? Jeff

I had the same problem as you. It took a little while to find the right setting so that their were no bubbles. Your just going to have to fool around with diffuser box and the water level until you find a solution that makes you happy. It was quite frustrating but eventually fell together quite nicely.

OK. Thanks.
Have mucked around as best I can.
Only a few bubbles are now escaping.
At the moment the tank is filled to the brim, I like the look of aquariums that way, but when I do the next water change -- which reminds me -- I will leave the water level a little lower and that will probably fix things once and for all.
Question, when the pad gets clogged because of particulate matter, will the water start coming out of the nib again. Also, this morning there were no bubbles coming out of my skimmer. I checked all the air intakes and all seemed fine. I pulled the plug on the skimmer and the bubbles came back. Has anyone seen this before? Jeff

Back
Top Bottom