Coral vs Sand and NO PH difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100 gallon Cichlid Tank with crushed coral substrate and the PH has been a steady 8.2 since I set it up 6 months ago. I also have a 100 gallon tropical planted tank with pool sand substrate and the PH also holds at a steady 8.2 for at least a year. It has been up and running for many years but I did not start checking the PH until this past year. My water comes out of the tap normally very high at 8.0 to 8.4 depending on the time of year. All fish in both tanks are healthy but should I be concerned about the HIGH PH in the tropical and use chemicals to slowly bring it down? My only issue is that if I start with the chemicals then I will always have to use them to keep it steady. What do you think? I have drift wood in the tropical but it never really affected the PH much at all.

I have a 100 gallon Cichlid Tank with crushed coral substrate and the PH has been a steady 8.2 since I set it up 6 months ago. I also have a 100 gallon tropical planted tank with pool sand substrate and the PH also holds at a steady 8.2 for at least a year. It has been up and running for many years but I did not start checking the PH until this past year. My water comes out of the tap normally very high at 8.0 to 8.4 depending on the time of year. All fish in both tanks are healthy but should I be concerned about the HIGH PH in the tropical and use chemicals to slowly bring it down? My only issue is that if I start with the chemicals then I will always have to use them to keep it steady. What do you think? I have drift wood in the tropical but it never really affected the PH much at all.

I would try to get it down to 8.0 i just think thats a better max level for that tank. I use proper ph 7.5 by Api and that keeps it steady. I also added driftwood but it dropped it to 7.3 i have a SA Cichlid stock. They all are thriving and vibrant.

What kind of fish? Messing with ph is dangerous especially with chemicals. I would not use any chemical if you decide you need it lower. Any African Cichlid should thrive jn that ph

Peacock Cichlids / Bala Sharks, Mollies and Platies

The Cichlid tank I wont touch because they like the PH high, but the tropical with my bala sharks, redline sharks, mollies and tetras is the one that I am concerned about. The balas are over 8 inches and the mollies are full grown 3 inches and all seem healthy.

A steady ph is better than one that fluctuates. As long as 8.0 stays pretty steady, the fish will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom