Coralife Superskimmer or AquaC Remora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for a skimmer which work the best for my 132g 6ft long tank. I prefer something hang on back type (outside the tank) as I don't have a sump and want to have as more swimming space available for the future fishes. Something like Prizm I used to have but make less noise.

I am looking at either the Coralife or the AquaC Remora. I intend to buy either one of these on ebay since there is no such brand available here is Australia. And I heard from many review that they are excellent skimmers. But one problem though, the US electric current 120v is different from Australia's 240V so I think I will need a coverter or some sort to be able to use it. Or does the Coralife and Remora comes with optional pump if yes then I shall only buy the skimmer itself on ebay then get the pump here in Australia which conform to Australia's electric current. Will this work?

Any ideas/recommendation/opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i got the remora C pro, because i thought it would look nicer than the coralife sitting above my tank rim. and it was recomended as one of the best. it works well, my Cyano dissapeared after the first week of running it.

but i have a few issues with it.
1) the pump (mag3) is HUGE in the tank, looks ugly and fell off once(those plastic clamps are a pain but has stayd on since i tightend them with plyers.
2) took 3-4 weeks to break in.
3) its noisy (havent tried the papertowel trick yet.
4) still produces many microbubbles verry anoying and unslightly
5) cannot hook up ozone. (whish my lfs said is the best thing for ich control)
6) snails climb up inside it (dont know if this is good or bad)

hope this helps, if your going to add ozone def. dont get it. the dark color plastic does look better than the coralife but i have been considering trading it

i read somewhere u put a wet papertowel over the top of the sprayer

makes sence since that is where the noise is coming from.

i guess it dampens the noise over the sprayer.

im upset that people who recomended said that the microbubbles go away after breakin, its been 6 weeks and my tank is still filled with microbubbles.

I still have the microbubbles.
Where exactly ought I to put the paper towel? Jeff

I wouldn't recommend either of those for a tank your size. I ran the AquaC Pro on my 110g tank for about 8 months and it just couldn't keep up. It's very undersized for your tank.

People told me the same thing on this site before I purchased mine. I figured I'd be okay because it was "rated" to 120 gallons. That's a big exaggeration. Personally, I wouldn't use it on anything bigger than 55gallons. If I were you, and this is what everyone told ME, I'd take the time and energy to build a sump under your tank - or anywhere you can fit it - and get an in-sump skimmer. It'll probably cost you like $50 more if you can get a used tank and build a sump by yourself.

My tank is a completely different beast without that Remora. I've got an ASM G3 skimmer now and my tank has never looked better. I actually plumbed it into a closet because I had no room under my tank. It's the best thing I ever did. Save yourself some headache now, and at least entertain the idea of putting in a sump with a larger skimmer.

- Skins

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom