Coraline algae and FW tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so i finished breaking down my 75g SW tank, and turning it into a FW cichlid tank. My question is, I couldnt get all of the coraline algae scraped out of the tank. I was afraid to hit some of the sealant in the corners. Will the little coraline algae pose any problems later down the road?

I shouldn't think so? Its mostly calcium carbonate which might effect your water hardness? I'm not positive, but I doubt it would make much of a difference, your water would have to have some crazy levels to eat away at it fast enough to do damage.

Good call Jimbo. And the extra hardness(as the coraline desolves) will be great for your cichlids too.
What PH will your water endup as?

Assuming the algae (i.e. the "living" part of it) is long since dead, then basically all you are asking is whether it is bad having a little calcium carbonate in the tank. Which, in a cichlid tank, the answer is that some extra calcium carbonate is actually helpful.

Now if the algae was still alive, and there was a LOT of it, then the concern would be that when you switched it over to freshwater the algae would all die off, rot, and cause an ammonia spike because it was rotting. But that would only be an issue if there was a LOT of it.

Back
Top Bottom