Corals for an 8 Gal Biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaughterwantsNemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

Been quite some time since I have posted.
My tank has now made it past two successful water changes, 1/wk.

Looks like me hermit crabs made work of my turbo snails. So I have opted for 1 much larger snail. It hasn't found its way to the glass, which algea's up, yet. My magnet cleaner works in the mean time.

Anyways, I am almost 2 1/2 months in and would like to add some coral. Any suggestions. My tank pic is in my profile.

1 clown
1 small yellow tang
1 goby
2-3 hermit crabs
1 snail

Thanks

The stock lighting of your tank will be sufficient to keep any soft corals and even certain LPS corals such as frogspawns or torch corals.

As for distances, with most soft corals there are no "sweeper tenticles" like you see on stony corals. A lot of soft corals like mushrooms and polyps can grow right next to and touching each other with no negative effect.

What kind of Clown and goby are you talking about getting?

The yellow is not suited for that size tank. They need at least a 75 gallon tank to keep. Keeping them in smaller tank could stunt their growth.

ty that's what he already has, unfortunately.. the tang still needs to be removed..

look for zoanthids, palythoas, mushrooms, ricordeas, and possibly xenia to start out with, if they dont do well it'll definitely be from the tank being overstocked, whats the nitrate reading looking like now by the way?

the yellow tang will definitely die in that tank. it won't have time for it's growth to be stunted. it might succumb to an illness that it will pass on to the other two fish.
i am in agreement that it should be removed as soon as possible.
any soft corals should be fine in a bio cube with stock lighting. just make sure they are photosynthetic corals- no chili corals or other filter feeding options.

Nitrate levels are almost 0 no higher then 10 as color coding will indicate. I am very diligent about a clean tank.

As for the Tang, it will go to a family members tank, 1500 gallons as soon as there is any sign of stress. Right now the little guy literally knocks on the glass to tell me it is feeding time. The rocks are set up so that any fish in the tank can do multiple laps in continuous circles.

How many days prior do you mix the salt water before a water change?

i mix it up a day before. leave it in your container with a power head or air stone over night would be best.

Back
Top Bottom