Cory in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibberwatt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a fifteen gallon tall, with volcanic rock as a substrate. I am wondering if I could put cories in there, without damaging their barbels. I know the internet says soft substrates, but how soft is soft?

I also have a 29 with soil substrate, would that work?

A volcanic rock substrate is bad for any bottom oriented fish, the sharp edges can/will cause damage, which is also why I am against any type of lava rock in the aquarium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would definitely change gravel before getting corys. Plus how tall is this tank. Corys like to surface at times to get some oxygen

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is about 2.5 feet. But I am just ballparking.

Also, I know plecos are algae eaters, and they tend to spend most of their time on the sides of the aquarium. would a certain breed be ok in this tank?

I would think that a 15 gal is probably too small even for the smaller breeds of pleco. Bristlenose plecos can get up to 5 or 6 in long, plus they are relatively high bioload fish.

Corydoras

I have a fifteen gallon tall, with volcanic rock as a substrate. I am wondering if I could put cories in there, without damaging their barbels. I know the internet says soft substrates, but how soft is soft?

I also have a 29 with soil substrate, would that work?

Hello Gibb...

Rough substate won't work for Corydoras. They need something very smooth or polished like pea-sized gravel. This is what I use in my Cory tanks. Also, Corys are foraging fish, they prefer larger areas to swim. A 15 gallon tall is too cramped for even small Corys.

The 29 gallon with soil would likely be fine. Get some very small species like Pygmies or Pandas. 6 or so is about right and keep the tank water very clean with large, regular water changes.

B

Hello Gibb...

Rough substate won't work for Corydoras. They need something very smooth or polished like pea-sized gravel. This is what I use in my Cory tanks. Also, Corys are foraging fish, they prefer larger areas to swim. A 15 gallon tall is too cramped for even small Corys.

The 29 gallon with soil would likely be fine. Get some very small species like Pygmies or Pandas. 6 or so is about right and keep the tank water very clean with large, regular water changes.

B

So what you are saying is a 15 gallon is too cramped for pygmy corydoras species, really?
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Corydoras-pygmaeus

Corydoras

Hello again Gill...

Research Corydoras to be sure of the requirements of the species you want to keep. They're shoaling fish. They're comfortable in groups of six or more and they forage in loose groups at the bottom for leftover food. Does a small tank sound like the best environment for them? If you think so, then get them. I don't keep these fish in a tank smaller than a 45 G. Most of them are in a long 60 gallon. They swim for a long way before they have to turn around. Plenty of swimming room so they're not constantly bumping into one another.

Just one reporter's opinion. Your call, you're the tank keeper.

B

I've done plenty of research and always do. How do you think I knew about the article that I linked? It's like you are saying that not a single species of fish that grows to only 1" TL is suited for small aquaria and that your opinion apparently nullifies information given by more experienced aquarists and experts (the people I trust to get my info from). I mean what makes you think that being in a smaller tank inhibit their ability to shoal let alone forage for food? Your opinions, from what I've read are asinine at best, there is no reason that if kept in smaller groups they wouldn't be suitable for small aquaria.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom