cory. ..swimming up and down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bra_van_drakh

Aquarium Advice Activist
i've been keeping 5 albino aeneus cories fr half a year now... .when i kept them in a small shallow pond, they dont get too active, barely swimming aroung looking for a hanging spot flat on the ground, but since a month ago i moved them in my 55gal decorated tank, and they'll just swim up and down, just as if they're playing with the water flow, going forward and then got pushed back by the water flow whilst going up and down..

also in that tank, i put bichirs, about 8" in average. ..the weird this is that my paleatus panda cories dont, only these albinos. ..is it because of their light coloration so they think that they'ra chased or is it their habit ??? since the other specieses aren't that kind of bright.. .shud i separte the ??? all of the dark scaled fish are doing just fine, but one of my albino rainbowshark and one of my albino cory got eaten. ..

put that chasing part aside, they're very cute when the're swimming up n down, hwa444. ..

Cories can be active swimmers and will often swim to the surface, sometimes gulping a bubble of air which they can digest in their gut. I found that each time I moved my cories it would take awhile for them to adapt to a new space. They would be frantic for months afterwards getting to know the new setup. eventually they will settle down a bit.

I would be nervous putting cories in a tank they could get eaten in, especially froma fish large enough to get an adult into its mouth. The cories have spiny fins that can easily lodge them in a preditors mouth, usually with the result that both fish die. I have seen it happen with oscars.

thankz before.. ..

i was thinking that way before. ..but they're just to big to be eaten...the other that was eaten was only half an inch, whilst the rest are about 1 inch. .
so it is natural fr them to swim up n down, huh ?? since i'm seing it as fun but also as if they're being chased by a spirit or so, hwa444^^

My peppered cories do that too. You see them listing or swaying around like they can't keep their balance, you think they may be almost dead and then all of the sudden the zip up to the top and back down real fast. It's hilarious to watch, but to new owners its kinda disturbing. Especially since the listing is usually what fish do right before they die.

Back
Top Bottom